During their studies, the future masters in translation acquire the specific strategies and skills to translate, mainly into French, documents with a high level of specialization. These texts or speeches in fields as varied as economics, medicine, politics, law, sciences or literature require a high linguistic and cultural ability in at least two foreign languages, as well as the control of technological tools, among others.
A comprehensive study program is provided in German, English, Danish, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, and Russian. Optional courses such as language, civilization, general or specialized translation classes are offered in the aforementioned languages, as well as in Arabic, Chinese, Greek, Hungarian, Japanese, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese and Swedish.
A hands-on situation is foreseen in the master's degree 1st year by implementing real-life translation workshops. A professional placement/internship in a company or a multilingual administration, translation service or international agency are constituents of the study program of the 2nd master as is the completion of a master thesis
Candidates to the master's degree in translation can choose between three finalities:
- multidisciplinary translation, with high-level specialization in fields such as law, economics, etc;
- translation in intercultural context, more centered on linguistic mediation, for example in a multinational corporation or NGO;
- research preparation.
At the end of the program, graduates will be able:
- to translate, reformulate or synthesize in French, written and/or spoken documents and speeches made by high-level specialists dealing with a large variety of subjects;
- to translate or synthesize in a foreign language a document of general interest, written or spoken in French;
- to communicate and debate, in French or a foreign language, on all aspects of their translational approach (documentation, terminology, choices and strategies, tools, etc).
Within the multidisciplinary program:
- to communicate quickly and effectively on specialized subjects and to make accurate use of the terminology related to a particular field.
Within the intercultural program:
- to communicate easily and accurately in French and a foreign language, in order to ensure a discrete and effective linguistic mediation in a variety of contexts and with various speakers.
Within the research preparation program:
- to be aware of and implement the methods and principles of scientific research, in particular in the field of traductology.
Occupational profiles of graduates
The holder of a master’s degree in translation will integrate successfully various sectors of the national and international economic life.
Translators can become civil servants working within national or international organizations, like federal and regional departments of State, the European Union at its various levels, parliamentary organizations, UN or NATO.
As an independent translator, he will work as a freelancer or as a freelance translator for an agency or a major international institution.
As an appointed translator, he will work in a translation service of a business firm, an insurance company, a bank, an NGO, etc
Lastly, he will have access to many other language professions, in education, as a researcher or in many occupations exercised in a multilingual context.
The education at the Faculty of Translation and Interpretation - Ecole d'Interprètes Internationaux enjoys the recognition of renowned professional associations, like the International Association of Conference Interpreters (AIIC) or the Permanent Conference of University Institutes of Translators and Interpreters (CIUTI). The Faculty is a member of the International Federation of Translators (FIT). It is bound by international contracts to many universities worldwide and collaborates with major international institutions such as the European Union, UN or NATO.
Finally, it is involved in the placement of its graduates by supporting the communication of job offers, via an Internet forum intended for its alumni.
Access to further studies
- Master of interpretation
- Master in Management (UMONS, Warocqué Faculty of Economics and Management)
- Advanced master's degree in sciences of the language (UMONS, Institute for Language Sciences)
- Teaching degree for higher secondary school teachers (AESS)
- Pedagogical skill certificate appropriate to higher education (CAPAES)
Mode of study
Program taught in: