This master’s study program will mostly attract those who are willing to get more profound knowledge in translation and localization methodologies and technologies, as well as improve their skills in translation technology and management of translation projects.
One of the greatest advantages of this study program is an opportunity to improve written translation skills in different language combinations. Graduates will be able to solve translation and localization issues, acquire skills in Lithuanization of software and texts online, translation of audio-visual media, and use of translation technology for translation, alignment, terminology management and other purposes.
Students will have the possibility to acquire individually chosen competencies (in management, law, language studies, etc.) or select the career as an expert of the field (gain more profound knowledge in the field, necessary for solving scientific issues).
Interdisciplinary study program
The program is unique as it is the only study program in Lithuania focused on localization i.e., adaptation of software, websites, advertising means and other products to the Lithuanian culture and language.
Skills in translation and localization technologies
Particular attention is devoted to the development of skills in using software designated for translation and localization. Students work with internationally recognized translation and localization software: SDL Trados Studio, MemoQ, OmegaT, Déjà Vu, Wordfast, Passolo, Catalyst, Language Studio, Multilizer, Visual Localize.
Competence in translation from the second foreign language
Together with translation from the first foreign language (English), students learn translation from the second foreign language. Translation modules of different language combinations (French -Lithuanian, German Lithuanian, Russian – Lithuanian, English – Russian) are offered.
80–100% of graduates are employed in their field of education
Based on the data of the Lithuanian Labour Exchange, at least 80% of the program graduates work in different translation companies, such as Skrivanek, Alma Littera, Softneta, Bretalita or as freelance translators. Favourable employment opportunities are guaranteed not only in Lithuania but also in the European Union institutions.
Different commercial translation and localization software packages, as well as free machine translation systems, are used in the study process
Students acquire skills of using SDL Trados Studio, one of the most popular software packages, facilitating translation processes for translators and business organizations.
– Second foreign language at level C1;
– Translation of the texts of various areas and genres from two foreign languages;
– Translation of the Internet text into Lithuanian, translation of audio-visual medias;
– Management of globally recognised translation and localisation software;
– Deep knowledge of translation theories and methodologies, text analysis and application of technologies in translation.
– Able to solve complex problems of translation and localisation during written translations from English and second foreign language (besides the main English-Lithuanian, there are combinations of other languages, for example, French-Lithuanian, German-Lithuanian, Russian-Lithuanian, English-Russian);
– Able to implement translation and localisation projects;
– Able to apply globally recognised translation and localisation software: SDL Trados Studio, MemoQ, OmegaT, DejaVu, WordFast, Passolo, Catalyst, Language Studio, Multilizer, Visual Localize;
– Able to translate software, Internet text into Lithuanian, translate and culturally adapt audio-visual media (films, video games, advertisement);
– Able to perform translation and linguistic analysis.
Milda Povilaitienė, Director of UAB "Baltijos vertimai"
The master’s study program in Translation of and Localization of Technical Texts covers all areas and practices relevant to the future translator. Graduates have excellent knowledge of the native and two foreign languages, as well as translation skills that may be applied extensively not only in the translation industry. An employee who has mastered the native and two foreign languages is a dream of a number of employers; such skills are also a must for those seeking a career in international companies.
Throughout the study process, much attention is devoted not only to developing translation competencies as such but also familiarisation and work with translation technologies, analysis of localization problems and their solutions.
The master’s study program Translation and Localization of Technical Texts prepares not only translators as specialists but also develops a broad outlook. Skills of MA graduates satisfy contemporary requirements set for translators. A specialist with such skills and competencies is welcome at both Lithuanian and foreign translation bureaus.
|Proficiency in English|
IELTS ≥6.0, TOEFL ≥85, CEFR ≥C1, or equivalent
|University Bachelor degree certificate|
Undergraduate diploma (or higher) with min. length of 180 ECTS (3 years of studies) is eligible.
Often you can get a suitable transcript from your school. If this is not the case, you will need official translations along with verified copies of the original.
The entry qualification documents are accepted in the following languages: English / Russian.
The documents must be legalised (Apostille) by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the country where the documents were issued. This requirement does not apply for the documents issued in the EU and Belarus, Ukraine.
Average grade (CGPA) > 60 %
For more information of this programme, please visit their web page here.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 5, 2018