Through this program, students will acquire the scientific and technological knowledge, as well as the principal experience, to understand and contribute to innovative research and development processes in the energy field.
perform engineering design of industrial projects conduct experimental and numerical analysis studies and analyzing results
Thermal Science and Energy is an academic curricular of the Mechanics Master's Degree. It is a two-year degree (M1 + M2) but only the second year (M2 Thermal Science and Energy) is accessible at Polytech Nantes.
Prerequisites for enrolment
- Applicants should hold a degree which validates at least 4-years in higher education (equivalent to Bac +4 in France), in one of the following fields: applied physics, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering.
Applicants should be able to demonstrate (from transcripts of their degrees) good knowledge in, not necessarily all, but in most of the following fields:
- mathematics (tools for engineers)
- heat transfer
- fluid mechanics
- digital methods (coding)
First semester (S9) - (30 ECTS)
Fundamentals of heat transfer (Physics and engineering of heat transfer, Convective, and radiative heat transfer)
- Experimental and digital methods (Experimental methods, Digital methods)
- Fluid mechanics (Fundamentals, Turbulence, and turbulent flow, Hydrodynamic stability and Dynamic systems)
- Heat transfer in solids and heterogeneous media (Heat transfer at interfaces, Heat transfer during composite injection, Heat transfer with phase change, Polymers and composite thermophysical properties)
- Energy systems (Thermal energy storage)
Second semester (S10) - (30 ECTS)
The second semester is dedicated to a full-time scientific and technical internship (minimum 5 months) related to a research & development project conducted in academic labs or private companies.
Validations of both the exam session and of the master internship (defense and report) lead to the French Master’s Degree from the University of Nantes.
Business sector or job
- R&D engineer
- Future involvement in international Ph.D. top-level programs
- Thermal design engineer in industrial companies (Energy Production, Transport, etc.)
Our international master is taught in English in Polytech Nantes (Chantrerie campus).
Program taught in: