Sustainable development has become a new paradigm in the 21st Century, in both the public and private sphere, and from an international right down to a local level. In the tourism sector, this paradigm has given rise to the concept of sustainable tourism, which focuses on the environmental, social, and economic aspects in this sector.
There is an ever-growing number of public bodies, academic institutions, tourism destinations, companies, and international organizations that actively seek to integrate sustainability criteria into their policies.
Ostelea has decided to run a Master program in Sustainable Tourism Destinations and Regional Tourism Planning, which is designed to equip professionals and executives to lead the shift towards more sustainable planning and management of tourism activity, whether in public administrations or in the private sector.
Ranked among the top 50 masters in the world in the Sustainable Development and Environmental Management category in the Eduniversal Best Masters in the World Ranking 2019.
Ostelea - Escuela de Turismo
Reasons to take the Master
- Management Experience: Students develop the key competences for managing projects effectively, Soft Skills.
- Series of meetings with executives from hotel and restaurant companies, and international tourism consultants.
- Program for developing executive competencies: Tourism Skills Development Program (TSDP).
- Eight fieldwork projects in experiences in tourism planning in Barcelona: students will visit various sustainable initiatives around the city of Barcelona related to tourism or which are affected by tourism, such as ecological markets and businesses, self-managed community spaces and community gardens, among others.
Employability and Entrepreneurship
- Students who want to set up their own business have access to the Entrepreneur Project, offering advice and guidance.
- Employability-focused tuition: Professional Careers programs, Employability Week, Employment Forum, Graduate Programs, among other initiatives (subject to demand).
Other key features
- International faculty: Some of the contents on certain courses will be taught by lecturers from Ostelea’s partner universities and business schools.
- Research Group: Members of the Master faculty form part of Ostelea’s Interdisciplinary Tourism Research Group (GRIT-Ostelea), the scientific output of which focuses on the field of international tourism management.
- Seminars on Hospitality (in the case of Barcelona's programs) and Sustainability (in the case of Madrid's programs).
- Language: English or French.
The Master in Sustainable Tourism Destinations and Regional Tourism Planning will give you the following benefits:
- Get to know the MICE industry (Meetings, Incentives, Conferencing, and Exhibitions)
Acquiring knowledge of tourism destination planning and management with the application of sustainability criteria. Learning the foundations of sustainable regional development, tourism sustainability, and its impact on the quality of the destination’s image.
- Strategic plan development
Designing strategies and plans for dynamizing and differentiating tourism products and destinations based on sustainable tourism management, both in well-established and emerging destinations.
- Regulatory framework
Learning the regulatory framework with respect to regional planning at different scales and its impact on the management of tourism destinations.
Detecting business opportunities: analyzing sustainability as a competitive advantage for designing, promoting, and commercializing new tourism products.
Discovering and applying information and communications technologies to tourism design and commercialization. Learning to apply the latest methods and techniques for the development and efficient management of tourism products and destinations.
- Environmental impacts
Gaining insight into the environmental impacts of tourism activity for proposing alternatives for sustainable tourism planning and management.
Ostelea gives its students training designed to enhance employability.
TSDP - (Tourism Skills Development Program)
An exclusive program where they will learn to develop their skills and abilities.
The TSDP consists of 55 teaching hours that include (limited places):
- Management Skills
- Public relations
- Advanced Excel
- Turistic marketing
- Employability: 3 workshops focused on candidate selection and improvement processes
- Entrepreneurship: through the Entrepreneurs Project where they will receive advice
- Career Transition: 5 workshops to guide students about their professional future
- (To choose one)
Talent tourism week
With the presence of relevant companies in the sector that will present their offers and then interview the students who are possible candidates
Companies participate by publishing their offers online and interviewing our students
Elaborated by multinational companies (Hilton, Mandarin Oriental, Hotusa, etc.), whose objective is to select the most suitable candidates
Meetings between national and international companies, where students can learn the profiles most in-demand in the sector
- Director of establishments focused on business tourism and event organization.
- Hotel establishments dedicated to hosting events, such as congresses, conventions, and conferences.
- Companies that use sponsorship and patronage as a communication tool and need qualified professionals to manage the events they are going to organize or sponsor.
- Departments of public institutions of any field dedicated to the implementation of cultural, patrimonial, and artistic policies.
- Protocol specialists in both private and official events, working in companies or on their own.
- Marketing directors of companies focused on business tourism
Training Plan, Cloister
Ostelea’s Master in Sustainable Tourism Destinations and Regional Tourism Planning is divided into 5 modules:
- Governance and sustainable planning of tourism products and destinations.
- Sustainable tourism development.
- Evaluation, management, and conservation of natural heritage.
- Tourism Management of natural heritage from a sustainability perspective.
- Master’s Thesis
The Master in Sustainable Tourism Destinations and Regional Tourism Planning is directed by Claudio Milano, Ph.D. in Social and Cultural Anthropology from the Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona. Master in Social and Cultural Anthropology (Cultural Differences and Transnational Processes) by the Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona. Degree in Tourism by the Universitá degli Studi di Naples Federico II. Visiting Researcher at the Université Lumière Lyon II (France) and at Stockholm University (Sweden). Visiting Professor at the Federal University of Piauí (Brazil), Strathmore University of Nairobi (Kenya), and University of Colombo (Sri Lanka). Consultant of international agencies in India, Peru, Senegal, and Brazil.
He is member of several anthropological and tourism research networks: Observatorio de Antropología del Conflicto Urbano (OACU), Turismografías, Grupo de Investigación Multidisciplinar en Turismo (IDITUR-Ostelea) and the Red Internacional de investigadores en Turismo, Cooperación y Desarrollo (COODTUR).
In addition, it should be noted that part of the faculty of the master is integrated into the Multidisciplinary Research Group of Tourism of OSTELEA-EAE (GRIT), which focuses its scientific production in the field of international tourism management.
The admission process guarantees the suitability of the candidates, in this way all the participants will be able to take full advantage of this learning experience.
To start the admission process it is necessary to fill in the information request. From that moment Ostelea will contact the candidate to close an interview to which the following documentation must be submitted:
- University degree
- The Curriculum Vitae
- Motivation letter
- Two letters of recommendation
After finishing the interview, the Admissions Committee will analyze case by case and communicate the resolution to the candidate to inform him of the status of his admission.
Participants that successfully complete the program will receive a Triple qualification:
- Máster Universitario en Gestión Turística Sostenible de Recursos y Destinos, con especialidad en Patrimonio Natural, from the Universitat de Lleida (official)
- The qualification of Master in Sustainable Tourism Destinations and Regional Tourism Planning from The Ostelea, School of Tourism & Hospitality. (institutional)
- The qualification of Master in Sustainable Tourism Destinations and Regional Tourism Planning from EAE Business School. (institutional)
In order to obtain the degrees that EAE and the University grant, it is necessary to comply with the requirements requested by said institutions.
Ostelea offers candidates scholarships that consist of financial aid with the objective of supporting our students.
Each application will be studied independently, it will be granted during the admission process and it will be communicated personally by the Admissions Committee before the formalization of the registration.
Scholarships representing 100% of the total enrollment fee will not be awarded in any case.
The economic aid will be offered in the following cases:
- Advance reservation of place.
- Adequacy of the profile to the requirements of each program.
- Former students of the school. In this case, a 25% discount will be applied to the enrollment.
About the School
Somos un centro universitario internacional especializado en la formación de líderes, directivos y técnicos especializados en la industria del Hospitality