The purpose of the educational program "Sustainable Thermal and Energy Systems” is to prepare qualified specialists with professional knowledge, skills and abilities to solve the following tasks in the field of industrial heat and power systems and social sphere:
- to develop and maintain modern power engineering and heat installations;
- to develop and implement promising heat-and-power systems and appropriate equipment for them;
- to ensure rational use of fuel and energy resources at industrial enterprises and utilities;
- to conduct a feasibility study with a justification of the priority directions for solutions of resources saving problems with a combination of centralized and autonomous power supply including the renewable energy sources usage;
- to create advanced life support systems at enterprises and housing;
- to develop mathematical models of studied objects for analyzing their efficiency via modern computer programs;
- to ensure environmental protection.
The Master of Science degree program integrates the technology side of energy systems development with the financial planning needed to effectively implement them. The goal of the educational program is to create a high-level signature, an interdisciplinary graduate program for the engineer or technical business major, who is pursuing an industrial or public planning based career.
The curriculum is flexibly designed with a set of a number of core courses in engineering knowledge and finance, including "Energy Efficiency Increasing Methods", "Impact Pathways Analysis", "World Energy Development Prospects", "Business Planning in Power Engineering" and etc. Through this curriculum and interaction with practitioners, our students are prepared to effectively integrate energy system development over a broad spectrum of technologies with specific financial requirements to successfully implement them and compete in the global energy market.
The program curriculum is firmly rooted in energy technology and includes exposure to the interface with business and financial decision processes. Practicing professionals with experience at this interface who have successfully implemented energy systems or devices and policies are actively involved in the program as faculty and invited speakers.
Graduates of the program will be involved in the decision making or policy planning that will deliver sustainable, energy efficient systems to the global market. They will have the basic training necessary to lead efforts within companies to plan and implement new energy generation investments, realize energy efficiency improvements specifically at the system level, and participate in energy and environmental markets such as heat and power purchase agreements, energy management monitoring and cap-and-trade systems.
Disciplines and curriculum
The program consists of 17 modules and teaching practice, predegree practice, production practice, the research work and the state exam.
Compulsory modules are:
1. Fundamentals of Systems Analysis and Design 2. Energy saving contemporary issues and sustainable development 3. Impact Pathways Analysis 4. Economy and business planning in industrial power engineering. 5. Automated control systems for technological processes in heat power engineering, heat engineering and heat technologies 6. Сomputer aided design engineering 7. Heat and mass transfer equipment at enterprises 8. Hydrogen and electrochemical power systems 9. Statistical methods for scientific research 10. Philosophy and Innovative Thinking in Engineering 11. Russian Language
Elective courses are:
1. Energy audit and energy saving of industrial enterprises 2. Indoor microclimate analysis and design 3. Сomputer aided design engineering 4. Fuel supply systems 5. Thermal engineering software 6. Mathematical modeling of processes, equipment and systems
- Degree of Bachelor / Specialist / Master in a related area of expertise;
- English language proficiency at B+
Graduates of the program are involved in the decision making or policy planning that will deliver sustainable, energy efficient systems to the global market. Our students are welcome to participate in research projects together with local and international companies: Gazprom, RusHydro, Siemens, Mosenergo, PJSC MIPC”, LUKOIL and others.
About the School
Moscow Power Engineering Institute (MPEI) is one of the main technical universities in Russia in the field of Power Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Radio Engineering and Electronics, Informatics ... Read More