Master of Sustainable Energy Systems
What does sustainability mean to you? Today, sustainability is the key needed in order to make the necessary improvements in energy supply, and more specifically in terms of energy utilisation and consumption. Natural resources are being depleted and are undergoing more complex procurement procedures, therefore creating the need to have a specialised understanding in the field of the sustainable energy systems of tomorrow.
Who are we looking for?
- Are you creatively challenged and looking to change how sustainability affects the global energy market? Do you find yourself thinking outside the “box”, while simultaneously designing a better version of it?
- Do you have an Engineering or Science background, and are looking to further your education?
- Are you looking to start a career as an engineering specialist with a highly-sought after international skillset?
Come Join Us in Pioneering the Future!
- Qualification: Master of Science in Engineering (MSc)
- Duration: 4 semesters (120 ECTS)
- New Admissions: 23 students per year
- Mode of Study: Full-time
- Entrance Requirements: Completed Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or technical field; strong English language skills
- Language of Instruction: 100 % English
- Start: Programme begins ONLY in September
Why study with us?
The Master of Sustainable Energy Systems programme is designed to provide students from various engineering disciplines with a deeper understanding on how to develop, plan and market efficient technologies for sustainable energy production and conversion, while also equipping students with the necessary skills in order to become an international engineer.
The core of the programme is focused on renewable energy sources, such as photovoltaics, wind, hydropower, and biomass, and how to use them efficiently. As such, the programme provides students with both a technical and practical approach that is needed when dealing with a variety of different issues. For example, you would have the appropriate skills in order to communicate with a process engineer at the steel manufacturing plant or solar facility and would be able to accurately provide an energy-efficient (saving) solution.
Practice-oriented Degree Programme
As a University of Applied Sciences, we cooperate closely with the local industry and companies within the region, as well as with various international ones. These connections enable, you, the student, to develop highly sought-after skills, as you will gain practical, hands-on experience which ultimately increases your level of employability. Further interdisciplinary and applied research projects will allow you to strengthen relationships with the local industry and international companies throughout your studies.
This programme is aimed at graduates who have a Bachelor’s degree (or the equivalent of at least 180 ECTS) in Engineering or another technical field of study.
The annual intake is 23 students per year. Students are selected based on a written application and personal interview(s). Due to the international scope of the programme, we aim at providing students with a culturally diverse learning environment, bringing together local Austrian students and students from around the world.
School of Engineering and Environmental Sciences
The Master of Sustainable Energy Systems is offered at the Wels Campus, in the School of Engineering and Environmental Sciences, which is part of the University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria. Wels is a historic city with a strong industry and offers great job opportunities. Wels is located in the beautiful region of Upper Austria. Please follow the links for further information about Wels and Upper Austria.
Qualification and future career
The focus of the programme is built around the principles on how to manage the demand for safe, cost-efficient sustainable energy systems. Therefore, the curriculum contains courses that will enrich a students’ knowledge in areas like the utilisation of sustainable energy resources, energy systems and distribution, both in terms of technical knowledge and practical skill development. Furthermore, courses covering topics such as the business of energy, legal frameworks, both EU and international regulations, and the ecological evaluation of energy flows will be examined in detail.
Due to the international scope of this programme, a portion of the courses will be focused on international negotiation, intercultural communication and adaptation, and the development of language skills. Together with courses that are meant to strengthen a students’ soft skills and a module on business administration, these will enable graduates to produce, distribute and develop goods or consult companies concerning projects in the area of power engineering and sustainable energy, in an (inter)national field.
Graduates will be able to:
- Combine technical know-how with economic principles
- Implement and manage research projects according to modern management methods
- Consult banks/insurance companies on matters that contain civil law, contract law, business law, patent law, competition regulations, and liabilities issues
Graduates will work as (senior) Engineers or project leaders in the field of energy efficiency, in which they will be able to identify potential energy-saving and/or energy efficiency or project planning, and the realisation of sustainable energy power plants. This means that graduates will be able to find jobs in:
- Energy-intensive industries such as with utility companies
- Energy consulting
- Energy Engineering for systems such as in power plants or photovoltaics
- Energy technician
Graduates’ tasks could be:
- Planning and understanding large-scale energy generators, working with wind-power, hydro-power
- Identification of energy saving potential through the recommendation of appropriate products/systems
- Implementation of energy efficient projects
- Operating and maintaining energy systems
Program taught in: