Sustainable development, as stated by the Secretary-General of the United Nations, is the great challenge of our time. In addition, sustainable development has become one of the purposes of the United Nations, it has entered the center of the global agenda and the international community has adopted global public policy on it through the 2030 Agenda, whose visualization more clear are the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The challenge now is to put into practice at all levels the objectives, goals and measures contained therein, in a context marked by the climate emergency.
This master's degree aims to raise awareness of the 2030 Agenda and, above all, to help the different stakeholders concerned to put it into practice. For this, the master has an interdisciplinary approach that aims to contribute to integrating and weighing the economic, social and environmental dimensions of sustainable development.
- Offer an approach to the SDGs, from a multifaceted and interdisciplinary approach.
- Recognize the mutual interdependence between the social, environmental and economic objectives of the SDG agenda, as well as the need to balance and weigh them.
- Understand the SDG implementation pathways, as well as their main challenges.
- Understand the governance system established to achieve the SDGs, as well as the growing interdependence of the international system and the need to protect global public goods.
- Understand the need for alliances and the role played by the different actors involved in the 2030 Development Agenda.
- Provide the practical skills necessary to achieve the transition towards sustainability, including systemic and interdisciplinary thinking and tools for measuring and evaluating public policies.
- Explore ways to achieve a transition towards a strong sustainability model, where the economy is at the service of society and society develops within the limits of the biosphere.
The master's main recipients are three groups of people:
- Postgraduate students who want to deepen and specialize in the field of sustainable development;
- People who work in the private sector and have professional reasons to go deeper into this area;
- People who carry out their professional activities in the public sector and who have direct responsibility for some of the aspects of the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs.
Due to its interdisciplinary approach and practical orientation, this Master prepares its students for a wide variety of jobs such as those detailed below:
- People who work in administrations that have direct responsibility for some of the aspects of the 2030 Agenda and of the SDGs (Generalitat de Catalunya, Diputaciones, Ayuntamientos and others);
- Workers of non-governmental organizations, both in the field of development cooperation, as well as environmental ones or those focused on the protection of human rights;
- Responsible for departments related to sustainability in companies, both national and international;
- Self-employed people, interested in social entrepreneurship and in the generation of sustainable business models;
- Diplomats, international officials and workers of international organizations;
- Teaching in secondary and higher education.
As part of the practical training included in the Master in Sustainable Development, students will complete compulsory professional practices (from 4 to 6 months) or a Master's Final Project (actual project applicable to companies or institutions).
For the 24 ECTS corresponding to practical training, the Master provides two different practical itineraries depending on the student's profile:
Recent graduates: On the one hand, recent graduates will have the opportunity to carry out external curricular internships in a company or institution. The practices must be related to the subject of the Master and will have an expected duration of 4-6 months (24 ECTS).
Professional field: On the other hand, those from the professional field will have to carry out the design of a real project that can be applied to a company or institution.
About the School
El CEI International Affairs es una institución que trabaja con y para los profesionales de la diplomacia y las relaciones internacionales. El objetivo primordial es ayudarles a mejorar sus conocimien ... Read More