The main aim of the Master's Degree in Spanish as a Foreign Language is to train students to teach Spanish to speakers of other languages. It provides them with the theory and practical tools students need to teach Spanish as a foreign language at home or abroad. The program guarantees that graduates will have a thorough knowledge of Spanish and will be familiar with the most suitable techniques and methods for satisfactory teaching.
The subjects are taught entirely in Spanish, as is the training program, but this may not be the case of the optional subjects.
In addition to the professional track, the course also offers a research track for those who are interested in pursuing any theoretical or practical aspects of foreign language teaching with a view to taking a doctorate.
The external work experience program is a compulsory 6-credit subject in which you have the chance to put into practice the knowledge you have acquired during the master's degree in an academic or professional environment. For this reason, you are advised to do your work experience in the second semester, when there are fewer classes and you have acquired a sufficient theoretical basis to cope with teaching Spanish as a foreign language. In exceptional cases, you may be allowed to do their work experience in the first semester.
The credits are distributed as follows: 3 credits (75 hours) for preparation, observation, and teaching of Spanish as a foreign language, and 3 credits (75 hours) for writing a report on the work experience program.
The work experience takes place in organizations that teach Spanish as a foreign language, preferably universities and university language centers, but also primary and secondary schools, academies and local civic centers. Every academic year we offer a wide range of placements and you choose the one that you prefer.
The URV's Centre for Hispanic Studies and Language Service, and the University of Silesia, in Poland, are some of the institutions that habitually provide placements for work-experience students. This year students also have the chance to go to the universities of Perugia (Italy), Freiburg and Göttingen (Germany), the Economic Technical Institute E. Tosi de Busto Arsizio (Italy) and the Santa Rosa de Lima Primary School (Murcia).
Brooke Cagle / Unsplash
Graduates in the University Master's degree in Teaching languages: Spanish as a Foreign Language are capable of working in:
- Teaching Spanish in language schools in Spain or abroad
- Teaching Spanish in foreign universities
- Teaching Spanish in civic centers
- Posts as Spanish language assistants at foreign universities
- Cultural mediation in official refugee centers and immigrant services
- Tourism field
- Translation field
- Correction of media texts
The Master's program is aimed at future language teachers who wish to work in Spain and abroad.
The Master's degree is aimed at Hispanic studies or Hispanic language and literature, other language degrees, a degree in primary school teaching (with or without the specialty in foreign languages) or a degree in a related field (Translation, Foreign Language Teacher, etc).
However, it may also be admitted to other candidate profiles if a teaching vocation does exist.
Specific documentation required
As well as the compulsory general documentation required for pre-enrolment to the program, if you are a foreign student, you must prove your proficiency in Spanish language, it is required the C1 level of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages or equivalent qualification.
Optionally, you can also submit:
- Proof of additional training: courses, seminars, etc.
- Proof of professional experience in teaching foreign languages (Spanish).
- Appropriateness of the admission qualification, up to 4 points. Qualifications will be graded according to the following scale:
- A degree in the field of philology: up to 4 points.
- A degree in the field of arts and humanities: up to 3 points.
- Other qualifications: up to 1 point.
- Evaluation of the student's academic record in the university degree qualifying them for admission to the master's degree: up to 3 points.
- Additional training: other documented courses, seminars or activities related to the content of the master's degree: up to 1 point.
- Professional experience: experience in teaching foreign languages (Spanish) will be appraised: up to 3 points.
However, if all the places on offer are not taken and you meet the access and admission requirements, you may be admitted without your merits being taken into account.
About the School
The Universitat Rovira i Virigili is located in the province of Tarragona, close to Barcelona, in one of the most popular tourist destinations in Europe. It is a young and dynamic university serving ... Read More