Master in South-East Europe in Contemporary International Relations
In 2009 a program accreditation for professional field 3.3. “Political Sciences” for educational qualification degree “Bachelor” and “Master” for the period of six years until 2015 was gained.
In “International Relations” specialists for diplomatic, consular and general foreign policy activities are prepared.
Graduates can work at all units and institutions on the problems of international relations and foreign policy of the country in the state sector as well as the private sector. They can work as:
- officials, foreign policy experts and advisors in central state agencies;
- officials at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and its branches in our country as well as abroad–embassies, consulates, cultural services, etc.
- advisers and analysts in Bulgarian departments for security and defense (under the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Defense);
- researchers at scientific institutes and professors at institutions of higher education;
- foreign policy commentators and experts at the international departments of mass media;
- specialists at the departments of international activity of state offices, non-state, non-economic public organizations, chambers of commerce, customs, import and export corporations as well as at the agencies of transnational corporations, foreign companies with mixed participation;
- officials at European Union’s structures and other international organizations in our country and abroad.
The educational contents of “International Relations” is oriented towards the obtaining of systematical and thorough knowledge related to the history and theory of the international relations as well as the different countries’ foreign policy and the study of the practice of international negotiations as well as the preparation and inclusion of international treaties. During the educational process students acquire skills for comparative analysis of political processes and events as well as international disputes and conflicts; they assimilate methods, means and techniques in order to put into practice an effective foreign policy prognosis. Through elective disciplines students have the additional possibility to deepen their knowledge of tangible fields of science that they prefer.
The theoretical preparation of the students extends via a profound study of aspects, trends and structures of Balkan cooperation in different aspects, problems and tendencies in the development of the geopolitical situation in the region as well as the aims, principles and priorities in the foreign policy of the states of South-East Europe. A subject of the specialized study is the new tendencies and problems of the European Union with a view to its topical development and membership of the Republic of Bulgaria in it. Curricula and syllabuses conformed to the introduction of the credit system as parts of the uniform common European area of the higher education have been approved.