Master in Software Engineering and Management


Program Description

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your interest in our Master's program Software Engineering and Management (MSEM).

Enclosed I'll send you more information about the application procedure for winter semester 2018/2019.

The Master’s Program Software Engineering and Management starts in the winter semester of each academic year, so at the beginning of October.

Application deadline for all applicants is on July 15th, 2018.

(Regrettably, we are not allowed to decide which applicants get admission or rather to send an admission letter before the application deadline due to legal requirements.)

The online application will be open at the end of May 2018. Please visit the online application portal and follow the instructions.

Please find our inline online application form which we kindly ask you to fill in, print and sign:

Please attach certified copies of the following documents:

· General certificate of education or other school leaving certificate(s) including a German or English translation.

· Certificate of the first degree awarded relevant to this application or Transcript of Academic Record including a German or English translation.

· For German applicants, if you apply before the award of your Bachelor's degree you have to hand in a "Vorläufige Bachelor-Bescheinigung zur Bewerbung um einen Studienplatz in einem Masterstudiengang"

· TOEFL results or IELTS results or Cambridge Certificate CAE (not older than two years at the date of enrollment; except native speaker).

· Transcript of records including a German or English translation.

· Chronological curriculum vitae (with signature) in German or English.

(Please send us the "original" certified copies and not only a copy of the certifications.) Additional documents, if necessary:

If you were awarded your first degree by a non-German institution, its eligibility must be confirmed by uni/assist. Please enclose such confirmation. Uni/assist will assess your Bachelor's degree and decide if it meets the requirements for entering a Masters degree program in Germany and issues a certificate of a successfully completed university degree (at least 12+3 or 11+4 years of school/university education), which we require for application to the Master’s programme.

Applicants should have an excellent or good European first degree (a German average grade of 2.5 or better) or an equivalent international qualification (as a rule, awarded with distinction, but finally we need your uni-assist certificate to check it).

Besides the application documents which have to be sent directly to us please apply for the uni-assist certification (VPD) as you were awarded your first degree by another non-German-university. Uni-assist helps us to decide whether you have the necessary qualifications, credit points etc. - finally it translates your marks. You’ll find detailed information about the application for the VPD (uni-assist certification) at

and especially at

The application for a Uni-assist certificate will need approximately 4 weeks; so best apply for the MSEM at Heilbronn University and Uni-assist certificate simultaneously.

Regarding the uni-assist application please see also the information on their official website about their application documents.

· ATTENTION: Please be aware that the application procedure takes ca. 4 weeks. For applicants coming from China, this procedure may take more than 4 weeks.

· If you were awarded your first degree by a Chinese, Vietnamese or Mongolian institution, its eligibility must be also confirmed by the APS (Akademische Prüfstelle), German Embassy, Peking or Hanoi or Ulan-Bator. Please enclose such confirmation.

· ECTS-Credits achieved in your first degree (if not specified in the certificate).

· Testimonial confirming your relevant other educational and/or vocational experience (for at least three years).

· If available, certificate(s) confirming your international experience abroad.

· If available, certificate(s), transcripts etc. of other school/university up till the present.

The mentioned application documents comply with the statues of the Master's Programme Software Engineering and Management which can be downloaded here. Please see also admission requirements for further details.

Regrettably, we are unable to judge if you can get a university place or not, not before the end of the application deadline and especially not before we receive missing application documents.

Please note, that we can only consider applications which reached us completely before the end of the deadline by post (July 15th).

After filling out the questions completely at the online application, please print it out. Please send your application with all your attachments and your signature (!) to our registration office:

University Heilbronn

Registration Office

Max-Planck-Str. 39

74081 Heilbronn

Please note: you will not obtain an acknowledgment of receipt after sending your application. You can check the status of your application on our information portal.


Particularly you need a confirmation/proof of financing, about ca. 670 EUR x 12 months (living expenses could be up to this amount). How? There are different possibilities:

  1. You can set up a blocked-account ("Sperrkonto") in Germany, in general, at a German bank like Deutsche Bank, Dresdner Bank or Sparkasse Heilbronn, with a deposit for about ca. 12 months; every month you can withdraw a maximum of 670 EUR. For further information please contact the banks directly.

  2. A person/sponsor in Germany put a guarantee for you (so-called “Verpflichtungserklärung”). The guarantee has to be applied at the foreign office of the town where you will live during your studies in Germany (e.g. Heilbronn) and an income statement is needed. Furthermore, German Embassy will need a formal sponsorship letter from the sponsor.

  3. A person/sponsor in your native country put a guarantee for you (at German Embassy or rather at the responsible department). Please attend, the last-mentioned possibility isn't accepted by all German embassies!

  4. Proof of Term Deposit indicating the address and telephone number of the bank.

  5. Sanctioned study loan indicating the address and telephone number of the bank; the amount should be converted in EURO and indicated in writing by the bank.

Furthermore, you have to hand in a proof that study fees have been paid, if applicable.

After handing in all documents required German Embassy will transfer it to the foreign office of the city where you will live during your studies. If all institutions agree with your application you will get your visa from German Embassy/Consulate and you can start your journey to Heilbronn.

Semester contribution: All students will have to pay an enrollment fee (142,50 €: an administration fee of EUR 70.00, a social contribution for the student services of EUR 59.00 and a contribution to the "constituted students' union" of EUR 13.50).

The payment to the student services (Studierendenwerk Heidelberg) is used as a contribution to cover the costs for the student facilities like Mensa, Cafeteria, Student Halls, and a contribution towards the Semesterticket (6 months ticket for public means in and around Heilbronn)

Also, the Student's Union charges a student contribution, which allows it to fulfill its tasks. The Student's Union consists of all students enrolled and deals with higher education policy as well as with the students' subject-related, interdisciplinary, economic, social and cultural issues.

Costs of Living

The costs of living for a student are about 800 Euro per month. These costs of living per month cover on average expenditures as follows*:

· Rent and additional charges: 298 €

· Food: 165 €

· Clothing: 52 €

· Textbooks and supplies:30 €

· Car, public transport: 82 €

· Health Insurance, medicine: about 66 €

· Communication (telephone, Internet etc.): 33 €

· Recreation, culture, sport: about 68 €

Please note: Starting winter semester 2017/2018 we have tuition fees of 1.500 € per semester!

Upcoming tuition fees for international students

The State of Baden-Württemberg has decided to introduce tuition fees for international students from the winter semester 2017/2018 onwards. The law stipulates that international (non-EU) students are required to pay 1,500 euros per semester. Additional revenue is necessary in order to further promote the internationalization of the institutions of higher education in Baden-Württemberg and to offer international students a more specific support during their studies.

The fees are for international students who enter for the purpose of study. Students from the EU, the European Economic Area (EEA) and from the Erasmus member countries are excluded from these fees. Refugees are also not affected. Students who have already begun their studies or who start in the summer semester 2017 are also unconcerned. Students who received their general qualification for university entrance in Germany without German citizenship are excluded.

For any further questions please don’t hesitate to contact us again

Kind Regards,


Last updated Jan 2018

About the School

Heilbronn University ranks amongst the major institutions of Higher Education in the state of Baden-Württemberg where it caters for almost 8,000 degree-seeking students on four campuses, namely Heilbr ... Read More

Heilbronn University ranks amongst the major institutions of Higher Education in the state of Baden-Württemberg where it caters for almost 8,000 degree-seeking students on four campuses, namely Heilbronn – Sontheim, Heilbronn – Am Europaplatz, Künzelsau and Schwäbisch Hall.The university is a family-friendly, vibrant institution which is committed to innovative and interdisciplinary knowledge transfer. It works closely with its many partners in business, industry and the local community to create a sustainable and ethical learning environment for its students. Read less