The current economic trends in Latvia and Europe highlight the necessity of highly qualified specialists and researchers in economics, management and sociological research who can work in innovative enterprises and institutions. The master's program "Sociology of Organizations and Public Administration" is offered by the Faculty of Economics and Social Development.
The program aims to educate highly qualified specialists for managerial posts in organizations of public and private sectors as well as for research institutions. The study program ensures the student-centered approach to the study process which allows students to develop their theoretical and empirical knowledge, skills and competence for the in-depth analysis of the contemporary social processes, organizational performance and issues of public administration.
The program covers two academic years. In the 1st semester, students extend their knowledge and skills in sociological theory, research methodology and techniques, organizational behavior, and public administration. Study courses of the 2nd semester specifically focus on organizational studies, the public, and nongovernmental sector, social welfare, research of the quality of life, rural studies, and development programs. During the research practice in the 3rd semester students are offered to visit organizations of the public sector and are required to demonstrate their practical skills in one of the organizations; a few compulsory and elective courses are also delivered such as Project Management, Policy Analysis, Human Development, Time Management, and Innovations and Creativity. In the 4th semester, the program is completed with the elaboration and defense of a Master’s thesis.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in social sciences or humanities. Applicants with Bachelor’s degree or professional Bachelor’s degree in other specialties are expected to have basic knowledge of social theory and research methodology.
English requirements: IELTS score 6.0, TOEFL score 547, TOEFL-iBT score 76.
Career prospects and further studies
The graduates work and have successful careers in a wide variety of areas, such as teaching, research, politics, public administration, municipalities, social and health services, the media, personnel management, NGO and trade unions, insurance companies, police and Probation Service. A number of graduates have pursued their careers also in scientific and research institutions. The graduates are eligible to continue studies in the respective doctoral programs in Latvia or abroad.
Why study Sociology of Organisations and Public Administration at the Latvia University of Agriculture?
- You will develop a deeper and multidisciplinary understanding of the management of organizations and people in the public, private and nongovernmental sectors as well as how to improve their performance.
- You will acquire knowledge and practical skills in (1) researching social structures and issues, organizational behavior and performance, (2) developing proposals and solutions, and (3) their practical implementation.
- You will be equipped with knowledge and skills on contemporary trends in social life, public policies, and organizations, which form a strong foundation for your future career in any field or job highly related to social responsibility.
- We offer you an interactive study process: organized field trips, opportunities for e-learning, problem-solving seminars and discussions, guest lectures, and research practice.
- We ensure the student-centered approach to the study process and focus on your needs and interests in every study course.
Compulsory courses (60 ECTS)
- The Principles of Scientific Research
- Sociological Theory
- Social Research Methods
- Organizational Behaviour
- Public Administration
- Social Welfare
- Organizational Studies
- Public and Nongovernmental Sector
- Development Programmes
- Rural Studies
- Processing of Sociological Information
- Research of the Quality of Life
- Policy Analysis
- Human Development
Compulsory elective courses (18 ECTS)
- Philosophy of Science
- Applications of Mathematical Methods
- Sociology in Latvia
- Project Management
- European Union Funds
- Time Management
- Innovation and Creativity
- Theories of Postmodernism
- Risk Management Process
Practice (12 ECTS)
- Study of Organizations [research practice]
Master thesis (30 ECTS)
- Master Thesis
Total: 120 ECTS
This school offers programs in: