JOINT DEGREE INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMME
Sociolinguistics and Multilingualism is an international joint-degree study programme offered by Vytautas Magnus University (VMU), Kaunas, Johannes-Gutenberg University (JGU), Mainz, Germany, Stockholm University (SU), Sweden, and the University of Tartu (UT), Estonia. During their four-semester studies, students study in three different universities: the first semester is taught in Kaunas, the second in Mainz; for the third-semester students choose between Stockholm and Tartu, and the fourth-semester students stay at the University of their MA thesis main supervisor.
With its geographical focus on the entire Baltic-Sea region, the programme is unique amongst all sociolinguistic MA programmes in Europe in the width of languages and societies covered by the programme.
The programme aims to educate specialists who with their solid linguistic training will be able to conduct research on multilingualism and disseminate their results not only within the academia but also amongst the different stakeholder groups, including politicians.
The graduates of the programme can expect to find employment in the following fields:
- Academic sphere, e.g., research tasks and/or doctoral studies in sociolinguistics, cross-cultural communication, identity, multilingualism, regionalism, etc.;
- Counselling on multilingualism issues at political and cultural institutions, including the EU institutions;
- Counselling and teaching on multilingualism issues in educational institutions of all levels;
- Counselling business and finance organizations on issues involving multilingualism and regional and economic cooperation;
- Various international, national and regional public and private sector institutions and projects concerned with multilingualism, language planning and policy;
- Mass media (with additional qualifications), e.g., in fields such as political journalism.
Bachelor Degree or equivalent in Humanities or Social Sciences is required. The Bachelor Degree shall contain at least 30 ECTS in the field of linguistics or philology.
About the School
Ranked in QS World University Rankings as a leader in the country by its internationality, VMU is the only public higher education institution in Lithuania and one of the few in the region where a wid ... Read More