(joint study program with Riga Stradins University, Latvia)
Why this study program?
The program is based on three main basic blocks: theory (45 ECTS), practice (9 ECTS) and research work (36 ECTS). Theory study block consists of 2 main parts. Compulsory study subjects are to prepare specialists who are aware of Theoretical Models of Social Work, European social policy tendencies, able to plan, coordinate and implement innovations into the field of social service policy in accordance with modern youth socialization features, successfully organize social work with different youth groups.
Multiple – choice study subjects are devoted to the education of intercultural mediation competence that promotes dialog between different ethnic groups, enables to educate the society, especially youth, about other cultures. Block Research methods and Master's Thesis– help the graduates to justify methodologically their chosen research theme, form basic characteristics of Master's thesis, prepare particular research technique in order to emphasize the harmonization of methodological problems of purpose and research methodology.
Semester in Riga
Joint Master's study program will be carried out in the English language according to principles of the intensive study program, i.e. 2 weeks of intensive auditorial courses:
- I semester at Mykolas Romeris University + exam session;
- II semester - 10 days in Riga Stradins University + exam session;
- III semester - 5 days at Mykolas Romeris University + exam session and defense of Master's thesis.
Lectures and workshops will be held face to face. Distance learning will be conducted continuously during the semester after intensive courses are finished: virtual lectures, teleconferencing and interactive participation/discussion boards and self – studies. The program is conducted by the Mykolas Romeris University Educational Science and Social Work Institute, later, Riga Stradins University offers the intensive program. The "Moodle" web learning environment is applied.
- Bachelor: graduates of university bachelor‘s studies in social work, social care, social pedagogy, pedagogy, psychology or other social and human sciences area.
- English language proficiency - the level not lower than B2 (following the Common Framework of Reference for Language approved by the Council of Europe). Distant English language level test is organized for those, who do not possess IELTS or TOEFL certificates.
- As per reviewed Order of the Minister of Education and Science of the Republic of Lithuania „On general requirements for study programs“ No. ISAK-1152, 12/06/2007, Item 9, the Law on Higher Educational Institutions (2011) of Latvia and decision of the Program Committee, students without University Bachelor’s degree in Social Work are required to complete compensatory studies of 12 credits - Theory and Practice of Social Work (General) and Methodology of Social Work (General) to ensure sufficient knowledge and skills for successful Master’s degree studies. These requirements apply to both universities offering the program.
International mobility possibilities
Students’ mobility is an essential and integrated part of the Program, no less than 25 percents of study program student must be in the international mobility, in Pours case 30 credits are in Riga Stradins University, Riga, Latvia. For the semesters in Latvia, students can apply for Erasmus+ scholarship.
Access to professional activity: The program graduates will have career opportunities in all kind of socio-educational institutions that provide different social services for children and youth. Graduates will be able to design, implement and develop modern social work strategies in the international labor market not only in Lithuania or Latvia but other countries, too Program graduates, as qualified social work with children and youth specialists, will be able to apply their career tasks: in children and youth day centres, especially working with children and youth from social risk families; in juvenile justice institutions, in implementing youth policy in municipalities, in improving quality of social work with migrants, in developing career guidance services for children and youth, in developing universal multifunctional centres.
Access to further study: The graduates may continue in doctoral studies and seek academic careers in national or foreign universities and research institutions.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 11, 2018