The programme is based on three main basic blocks: theory (45 ECTS), practice (9 ECTS) and research work (36 ECTS). Theory study block consists of 2 main parts. Compulsory study subjects are to prepare specialists who are aware of theoretical models of social work, European social policy tendencies, able to plan, coordinate and implement innovations into the field of social service policy in accordance with modern youth socialization features, successfully organize social work with different youth groups.
Multiple – choice study subjects are devoted to the education of intercultural mediation competence that promotes dialog between different ethnic groups, enables to educate the society, especially youth, about other cultures. Block Research methods and Master's Thesis– help the graduates to justify methodologically their chosen research theme, form basic characteristics of Master's thesis, prepare particular research technique in order to emphasize the harmonization of methodological problems of purpose and research methodology.
International Mobility Possibilities
Students’ mobility is an essential and integrated part of the Programme, no less than 25 percents of study programme student must be in the international mobility, in Pours case 30 ECTS are in Riga Stradins University, Riga, Latvia. For the semesters in Latvia, students can apply for Erasmus+ scholarship.
Programme graduates, as qualified social work with children and youth specialists, will be able to realize their career tasks in children and youth day centers especially working with neglected children and youth; juvenile justice institutions as providers of social services for delinquent children and youth; implementing youth policy in municipalities; improving quality of social work with migrants; developing career guidance services for children and youth; developing universal multifunctional centers.
The graduates may continue in doctoral studies and seek academic careers in national or foreign universities and research institutions.
Bachelor: graduates of university bachelor‘s studies in social work, social care, social pedagogy, pedagogy, psychology or other social and human sciences area.
English language proficiency - the level not lower than B2 (following the Common Framework of Reference for Language approved by the Council of Europe). Distant English language level test is organized for those, who do not possess IELTS or TOEFL certificates.
As per reviewed Order of the Minister of Education and Science of the Republic of Lithuania „On general requirements for study programmes“ No. ISAK-1152, 12/06/2007, Item 9, the Law on Higher Educational Institutions (2011) of Latvia and decision of the Programme Committee, students without University Bachelor’s degree in Social Work are required to complete compensatory studies of 12 credits - Theory and Practice of Social Work (General) and Methodology of Social Work (General) to ensure sufficient knowledge and skills for successful Master’s degree studies. These requirements apply to both universities offering the programme.
Application Procedure and Required Documents
Follow 4 steps:
- Fill out the online application form at apply.mruni.eu
- Upload required documents
- Secure your registration by paying the application fee
- Submit your application
- Educational documents
- For Bachelor degree-seeking students: Certified true copies of secondary education diploma or high education diploma with the transcript of academic records. Documents must be officially translated into the Lithuanian or the English language.
- Note: Additional educational documents (such as the results of state examinations or pre-University education) might be required according to the applicant's country of residence.
- For Masters degree-seeking students: Certified true copies of university transcript and diploma (a candidate must have a University Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent first university degree with a minimum 3-year study duration). Documents must be officially translated into the Lithuanian or the English language.
- Document proving results of the English language proficiency.
- For Bachelor degree-seeking students: at least level B1; assessments of English language proficiency certificates equivalent to level B1: TOEFL Paper 477-510, TOEFL IBT 53-64, IELTS 4.5-5.0, PTE level
- For Master degree-seeking students: at least level B2, assessments of English language proficiency certificates equivalent to level B2: TOEFL Paper 513-547, TOEFL IBT 65-78, IELTS 5.5-6.0.
- Note: in case you do not have IELTS or TOEFL, there is a possibility to take the online English language level test organized by the University. You should choose this option when filling the application. There is no additional fee for this test.
- Passport copy
- Passport type photo
- Notarized letter of sponsorship from parents/sponsors and the letter from a bank about their financial abilities (showing incomes from the last 3 months).
Program taught in: