Education's importance for individual life chances and societal development continues to rise worldwide. Changes in schooling, vocational training and higher education as well as informal, inclusive and lifelong learning emphasize this growing significance.
This international, multidisciplinary, research-based Master in Social Sciences and Educational Sciences addresses topics at the nexus of education and society and key challenges facing contemporary societies and welfare states.
English-language-based, the programme distinctively unites social scientific analysis of education and social systems and policies at local, national, European, and global levels. It combines historical, cultural, political, educational and sociological perspectives on educational institutions and organizations as well as their conditions and their consequences.
As a student, you will analyse changes in ideas, institutions and organizations caused by social, economic and political integration and compare the development of educational and social policies, schooling and social services across time and space. Particular emphasis is on Luxembourg, its neighbouring countries Germany, France and Belgium, and Europe within the context of internationalization. Innovatively, the approaches and methodologies of a variety of academic disciplines, including educational science, history and sociology, are jointly utilized in analysis and problem-solving.
Students will be prepared to either continue their academic career in the University of Luxembourg’s intensive doctoral programmes or transition to a wide variety of national or international organisations, governments, foundations or associations throughout Europe and beyond.
Students in higher education require both structured educational opportunities as well as freedom to develop their own intellectual interests and research questions. As a participant in this Master in Social and Educational Sciences, you work intensively with mentors and peers to develop your knowledge and skills. You will:
- acquire critical understandings of and review research related to fields of study in the social and educational sciences
- follow and engage in debates on changing societies
- acquire and expand your knowledge of social inequalities and welfare state regimes
- compare, critique and plan reforms of education and social service systems
- design, develop, and conduct empirical research using quantitative, qualitative, historical or mixed methods
- act as experts in academic fields of study (social sciences, education, social and educational policy)
- engage in developing policies and programmes on local, national and international levels
The seminars concentrate on the analysis of education, social welfare and society in its theoretical, historical, methodological and empirical aspects. In discussion-rich seminars, you will explore developments and challenges, from global to local, as you learn to make sense of cultural, socio-economic and political characteristics of educational and social welfare systems and wider societal contexts.
The programme’s advantages include:
- teaching and mentoring by distinguished scholars in educational theory, history of education and sociology of education
- an international, multicultural learning environment
- location in a city hosting several European Union institutions
- low tuition fees (€200/semester) for all applicants accepted into the programme
About the School
University of Luxembourg, Faculty of Language And Literature, Humanities, Arts And Education (FLSHASE)
The Faculty of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences is one of the three faculties of the University of Luxembourg.