Shipping plays a vital role in world trade and is the backbone of the world economy. Without ships and the services they provide, the world would not be as prosperous as it is today and many countries would not be able to participate in world trade. The shipping and logistics industries are two of the few industries that are truly global in both geographical scope and in the nature of the business.
Globalisation of trade and economies has led to a situation where multinationals have developed worldwide sourcing and marketing strategies. Logically, ports and shipping companies play an important role in enabling the smooth and efficient transportation of cargoes, thus connecting manufacturers and consumers around the world.
The 1 year, Master of Science in Shipping and Transport, will give you an excellent opportunity to improve your skills in business administration in the maritime and logistics field.
Shipping & Transport unique features
- Students will acquire in-depth knowledge of shipping and transport of the various constituent domains, specifically shipping management, economics and finance, logistics management and transport laws & policies.
- Students will gain knowledge and insight into transitional processes, system changes, and research methods.
- Students are challenged to approach maritime and transport-related issues from different perspectives and from different stakeholders.
- Those taking part in the programme will develop personal and professional competencies through research methods based on a didactically supported competency profile and will be tested and assessed for satisfactory completion by maritime professionals, applied professors, researchers, and lecturers.
The Shipping and Transport master is distinguished by its practical approach, intensive collaboration with the work field, and a broad perspective regarding study material. Graduates will receive the title Master of Science (MSc), upon graduation.
The Master Shipping and Transport is a one year full-time programme which guides students to make the link between understanding the fundamental maritime and transport concepts, tools and techniques and to apply them effectively and successfully in real-life situations. We practice a genuine ‘Rotterdam hands-on and make-things-happen’ approach, which is our distinctive strength.
The year is split into two semesters, within each semester there are 2 blocks, so 4 blocks within the year. The programme culminates with the Master thesis, the final and ultimate deliverable of the programme, which demonstrates the proof that the student has reached a master level of all the programme competencies.
Practical & Enrolment Information
Steps to your enrolment
1. Apply & register through studielink.nl
2. Send us the required certified documents via email for evaluation. Original documents in German or French are accepted. Documents in other languages need to be translated into English.
3. After the admissions team have confirmed your documents you will be invited for a skype interview with one of the recruiters to talk about your motivation and answer questions you might have.
4. After a positive evaluation you will receive the conditional admission letter. Your admission is finalised after we have received your original documents (payment & visa approved).
5. After payment, we will apply for your student visa on your behalf (only for non-EU/EEA nationalities).
6. Arrange your travel & accommodation (for non-EU/ EEA only after receiving the travel visa).
7. Supply us with your original documents during introduction week and we will introduce you to the city and assist you with all required legal matters in Rotterdam.