Did you know that more than 1.4 billion jobs, 42% of the world's active workforce, rely heavily on water? And in essence almost 80% of jobs require, directly or indirectly, access to water resources?
Such a large sector requires professionals specialized in water resources, with a multidisciplinary approach that facilitates its insertion in a wide range of companies and entities that cover the different sectors of activity. Based on these premises, the Master in Science and Technology of Water Resources has been designed that incorporates the particularities of the sector and an innovative method of problem-based learning.
Rohit / Unsplash
- Name of the master: Master in Science and Technology of Water Resources
- Scope: Technology
- Type: University Master
- Academic Secretariat: Faculty of Sciences
- Duration: 60 credits, one academic year
- Calendar and schedule: Start of the course: October
- School period: from October to July
- Regime: Full time
- Modality: Mixed
- Teaching languages: 100% Spanish
- Maximum number of places: 30
- Price: Pre-registration: € 30.21 for the study of the required documentation. Tuition: € 2,767 for the academic year. € 3,952 for the academic year for foreign students not members of the European Union. The price of enrollment in official master's degrees is fixed through a decree approved annually by the Generalitat de Catalunya.
The master will provide you with a global vision of the needs and challenges that the professionals responsible for water management have to face. The master will also provide you with the knowledge and tools necessary for problem solving, decision making, and adaptation to the constant changes of habitual paradigms in the complex water sector. In addition, you will become a professional with social and communication skills, capable of managing multidisciplinary human teams and selecting specialized sources of information.
Access, admission and registration
Prior qualification requirements
To access this master, it will be necessary to be in possession of an official Spanish university degree or another issued by an EEES higher education institution that empowers the issuing country, the title for access to master's education as established in article 16 of the Royal Decree 1393/2007.
Students admitted to the master's degree must have an official first or second cycle university degree in science and engineering degrees related to water resources (mainly environmental sciences, chemical engineering, chemistry, biotechnology, agricultural engineering and environmental engineering, that does not exist as a degree in Spain but in other countries), and its academic record and curriculum will be assessed mainly if the demand for places exceeds the set offer (30 students). The option of providing training supplements in itself is not considered, since the module of immersion in the water and aims to homogenize the basic knowledge based on the studies of origin. In addition, the problem-based learning methodology carried out in multidisciplinary working groups makes it possible to discuss and relate concepts of different disciplines in a practical way, and empowers students' semi-autonomous learning based on the limitations they identify.
Selection of candidates:
If there are more applications than places offered, the students' academic and professional records will be taken into account. It is planned to conduct a personal interview with the candidates to assess other aspects such as the predisposition for learning based on reasoning and abstraction processes, work capacity and individual reasoning, sufficiency for interpreting results at an advanced level, the endowment of professional competences or aptitudes to reach them, the ability to work in heterogeneous groups or the ability to generate knowledge or contribute in solving problems related to their discipline. When selecting candidates, an equal distribution between the two specializations (water sciences and technological solutions) will be considered in order to facilitate the establishment of appropriate working groups in ABP.
Therefore, the selection criteria will be set with the following structure:
- Academic record of the accredited official training, weighted according to the average grade of the home university (60%).
- Complementary academic or professional training. Certifications or degrees of other complementary training in fields related to the contents of the master's degree (10%).
- Work experience in the thematic areas of the master's degree with certification of the company where time and tasks developed are recorded.
- Experience in the field of research carried out in stays in recognized research centers and in publications related to the subjects of the master's degree (10%).
- Motivated request with letters of recommendation (10%).
- Interview with the director and a representative of the master's admission commission (10%).
In this master will have preferential access candidates who have university training in science and / or related engineering, for which a minimum of 60% of the places will be reserved.
Admission and registration
To access the master must do the university pre-registration. Once the pre-registration has been completed, the master's admission council will assess the student's curriculum to ensure the suitability of the candidates in relation to the dedication necessary for the adequate progress of their training.
Water Immersion 21.00 credits
- Uses of water
- Water Medium
- Water treatment systems
- Water and innovation
Immersion to the Water Labor Market 15.00 credits
- Business management in the water sector
- Business practice
Master thesis 15.00 credits
- Final work of master
You have to overcome 1 of the following requirements
Water Science Specialization 9.00 credits
- River Systems
- Lenitic Systems
- Water quality
Specialization in Technological Solutions 9.00 credits
- Basic Water Infrastructures
- Application of information and communication technologies to water systems
- Integrated solutions in the water sector
The main teaching methodology of the master's degree is problem-based learning. This methodology, based on the semi-autonomous learning of students, aims at continuous cooperative learning through the development of competences linked to new knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary in the field of science and technology of water resources. All the master's subjects are taught through ABPs, with the complement of seminars, master classes, laboratory workshops and field trips. Below is the approximate distribution of time, of the total of 60 ETC, of dedication to each training modality.
The master's degree envisages mandatory practices of 12 ECTS, which begin in March. Students can do the internship in one of the companies and collaborating entities. These comprise different sectors of activity with the same common denominator: water.
For the assignment of the practices and the final master's project, a Networking Forum is held in which companies and students meet and establish an individualized dialogue. This day is held during the month of January and allows candidates to know in depth the companies and potential entities where they can practice.
The student can extend their stay in the company up to 6 months if, in addition to the internship, the master's final project (TFM) is also carried out in the same company.
The TFM is a fundamental piece of the master's degree, and involves the realization of a project, study, memory or research work in which they apply, integrate and develop the concepts and skills acquired during the master's degree. The TFM concludes with the presentation of a written document / report / work and the public defense before an accredited court.
The master is based on about 30 credits of dedication between practices and final work, so that business participation is necessary for the correct execution of the course. The practices consist of 300 hours of dedication, which are compacted between March and August, and can be carried out in companies, research centers, public or private institutions. The internship and master's thesis can be linked by which the student in more than working in the company, will carry out the research project on the scope of application of the same. At all times the student has a tutor from the university, an expert professor in the field, who will guide him on the academic aspects related to the execution of the TFM.
- Project engineer in water treatment plants.
- Operator of water distribution and sanitation systems.
- Product manager in plant instrumentation
- R&D researcher in debugging.
- Head of maintenance of treatment plants.
- Wastewater treatment plant technician.
- Engineer specialized in hydraulic energy and hydrology.
- Hydraulic power plant operator.
- Precision agriculture technician.
- Technician in hydroponic crops.
- Specialist in prevention and environment.
- Industrial and environmental safety technician.
- Technician in regulatory affairs.
- Hazardous waste manager.
- Technician in industrial waste management.
- Operator tracking indicators.
- Environmental laboratory technician.
- Technician in geographic information systems.
- Environmental control entity technician.
- Technician in integrated analysis and control of river pollution.
About the School
La Universidad de Girona es una institución pública que se integra en el sistema de universidades públicas catalanas, sobresale en la docencia y en la investigación y participa en el progreso y el des ... Read More