Do you have solid knowledge in one of the sciences, do you enjoy sharing your knowledge, and would you like to deepen your insight in education and communication processes? Then the Master’s program in Science Education and Communication may be your choice.
In this program, you will gain theoretical insights and practical skills in both formal and informal educational practices. Your science discipline will be put in a broader societal perspective, and you will develop your own views on how your discipline should be relevant to secondary education and to the public at large. The internships and the research project in science education and communication will support you to develop as a skillful practitioner as well as an innovator.
This two-year program can be your gateway to careers, such as:
- Teacher in secondary or higher education
- Educational design
- Science writing or editing
- Museum education
- Science education research.
After a joint first semester, you will specialise in one of the program tracks:
- Teacher Degree (in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, or Computer Science)
- Research and Development in Science Education and Communication
Second degree teaching qualification
If you have completed a relevant Bachelor’s degree at a Dutch research university you could also consider a career as a teacher in secondary education. Please consult our Educatieve Module website (in Dutch) for more information. After completion of this program (30 ECTS-credits), you will receive a (limited) second degree teacher qualification that qualifies you to teach at lower secondary education (vmbo-t and the lower grades in havo and vwo).
As a graduate of this program, you will have:
- A deep understanding of your science discipline in a societal and educational context.
- Professional skills as a teacher, a designer, and a communicator.
- Mastery of systematic research approaches to evaluate and improve your professional practices.
- Attitudes and skills as reflective practitioners, in terms of subject specialist knowledge, skills and pedagogical practices.
Apart from being qualified as a teacher in chemistry, computer science, physics, and mathematics, you are also qualified to teach Nature, Life and Technology, after completion of this Master’s program (Teacher Degree)
Already a Master?
If you already have an MSc in Science or Mathematics, you are eligible for admission to the one-year Educational Master’s program Leraar voorbereidend hoger onderwijs (in Dutch), which also leads to a teaching certificate.
The career prospects for our graduates are good. Approximately half of our students start a career as teacher. Others find a job as an educational researcher at a university, or they find a job in another setting in which they can transmit their science knowledge to others.
Getting Started as a Teacher
After completing the track Teacher Degree, you will be qualified as a teacher for one of the school subjects in both lower and upper secondary education. The employment prospects for teachers in science subjects are generally good, but there are differences between school subjects. There are many vacancies for teachers in chemistry, computer science, physics, and mathematics, and there are fewer opportunities for biology teachers.
Apart from being qualified as a teacher in chemistry, computer science, physics, or mathematics, you are also qualified to teach Nature, Life and Technology, after completion of this master’s program.
Wide Variety of Careers
Graduates from the track Research and development, and graduates from the track Teacher Degree who do not opt for a position as a teacher, find their way in a wide variety of careers:
- Science education and communication research (e.g. PhD-position)
- Teacher in a university of applied sciences (HBO)
- Developer of educator in a museum (eg Universiteitsmuseum, Museon, Naturalis)
- Educational publishing (writing teaching methods, developing curricula)
- Communications officer at a science related agency or institution (National Platform Science & Technology, De Praktijk (educational design), Stichting C3 (promotion of interest in chemistry).
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 29, 2018