This program aims to train structural reliability, monitoring and maintenance specialists in the field of Marine Renewable Energy (MRE). At the end of this program, you will be able to use and quantify the added value of non-destructive testing techniques and SHM methods applied to offshore structures.
More scientific information about this field is available on: https://www.researchgate.net/project/Structural-Health-Monitoring-of-Coastal-and-Offshore-Structures
You will study at the University of Nantes during the first semester. During this semester, you will acquire the scientific and technological knowledge necessary to prepare for the second semester. The program delivery will combine on-campus and distance learning in order to benefit from the expertise of the four partner universities: Université de Nantes (UN), Aalborg University (AAU), Norwegian Science and Technology University (NTNU) and School of Mechanical & Materials Engineering of the UCD College of Engineering and Architecture (UCD).
During the second semester, you will conduct a project/internship in a company or an academic research lab of one of the partner universities (UN, UCD, AAU or NTNU), and have the opportunity to develop the practical experience necessary to your future career. You will also participate in online peer-learning activities to enrich your knowledge.
The Master program is accredited by the French Ministry of Higher Education, Research and Innovation (2nd year of master Mechanical Engineering). After completion, students will be awarded a master degree delivered by Université de Nantes.
- Analyze and model a problem.
- Perform numerical calculations with uncertainties.
- Identify a model.
- Analyze the results obtained.
- Communicate orally and write the results of a methodological or technical study in a synthetic and pedagogical way.
- Produce a bibliography (state of the art) of the works on a technical subject in order to apprehend the globality and the scope of the treatments, and to self-train.
- Lead a project from the description of its specifications to its fulfillment.
- Identify needs for MRE based on the basic design of MRE structures.
- Define the basic elements of the calculation of complex structure reliability and be able to apply them to real situations.
- Identify, select and quantify the added value of Non-Destructive Tools and SHM systems.
- Evaluate the information and analyze risk to optimize the maintenance of MRE structures in terms of reliability and cost.
- Working in a team for the fulfillment of projects in an international context.
Third Semester (30 ECTS) (i.e. first semester of this second year of master)
- MRE structures: offshore wind energy and ocean energy
- Design of offshore structures
- Stochastic sea loads
- Numerical methods for uncertainty quantification
- Risk-based inspection and value of information
- Risk and reliability in engineering
- Monitoring strategy and monitoring systems
- Probabilistic modeling of degradation
- Wind loads on structures
- Professional communication
- Problem Based Learning (PBL)
Fourth Semester (30 ECTS) (i.e second semester of this second year of master)
- Internship or project
Energy Sector, Marine and Renewable Energy, electricity, gas, oil, nuclear.
- Higher education and academic research
- Research and Development functions
- Project Manager
- Structural Health Monitoring (SHM) specialists
- Researcher (after a Ph.D.)
To enter this second year of the master, applicants should hold a 4 year degree in higher education, equivalent to the first year of a master (i.e. a 3-year Bachelor is not acceptable), for example, the 1st year of MSc validated in a field related to the scientific field of the master. Applicants must demonstrate good bases in Finite Element Methods, structural computation, and basic knowledge of reliability (example: degree in mechanical engineering). Applicants should be able to demonstrate their knowledge from transcripts of their degrees.
The program is completely delivered in English. Students whose first language is not English must provide proof of a minimum knowledge in English.
No requirements in French.
- Students coming from a country using the CEF/Campus France procedure must fill the application form AND enroll with Campus France procedure.
- Students coming from a country not using the CEF/Campus France procedure fill the application form
The cost refers to education and training costs that include additional services such as visits of Nantes and the Pays de La Loire area, visits of industrial sites, preparation to TOEIC, propositions of internships in a company or lab, French courses.
Why choosing this program?
This program has been developed by researchers and teachers-researchers experts in the structural health monitoring of offshore structures from European universities of renown in that field.
Université de Nantes
Department of Physics, involved in numerous industrial partnerships, also welcomes the TRUST group, a research group focused on modeling the reliability of structures.
Marine Technology Department specializes in load computing, force analysis, design methods, and structural analysis.
Department of Civil Engineering involved in the development of reliable MRE structures and an internationally recognized research group on issues of probabilistic methods and decision making in monitoring and maintenance planning.
UCD is a key partner of MaREI (center of excellence of the MRE) and hosts specialists of structures and systems. UCD researchers launched the world’s first underwater image processing platform
About the School
Université de Nantes has never stopped moving forward. Faced with today’s challenges we constantly reinvent ourselves. In the last 50 years, Université de Nantes has taken training and research to the ... Read More