MRUP Regional & Urban Planning
Graduate Taught (level 9 nfq, credits 120)
In today’s complex and the rapidly changing world, with the threats posed by climate change, economic crisis and rapid urban growth, planners face the challenge of creating places that combine environmental quality with a vibrant economy, quality of life and distributive justice. This two-year professional planning degree develops the requisite conceptual knowledge and practical skills required by planners in this increasingly complex environment. You will develop an understanding of the administrative, legal and policy frameworks in which spatial planning operates and the social, political, economic and environmental challenges facing planning. In addition, students develop practical skills for plan & policy making, including environmental assessment, retail assessment, public participation methods, development & project management, and GIS.Depending on your interests, you choose to specialise in either development and design, or environmental planning.
- A structured combination of theoretical discussion, practical studio-based learning and independent research.
- Intensive learning experience which is policy relevant and practice related.
- The potential in year 2 (based on competitive selection process) for 1-semester exchange with the Master in Urban Planning Program at the University of Illinois in Chicago.
- Accredited by the Royal Town Planning Institute and the Irish Planning Institute, which are internationally recognised qualifications
Who should apply?
Full-Time option suitable for Domestic(EEA) applicants: Yes
International (Non-EEA) applicants currently residing outside of the EEA Region. Yes, Applications are welcome from graduates from any discipline, though undergraduate disciplines with a thematic link to Planning are preferred. The programme is also suitable for those with a professional background in a field related to Planning who might wish to develop and broaden their skillset.
Graduates of this Masters are to be found working as professional planners in the public & private sector, as GIS consultants, as policy advisors, property development consultants, and as a community & rural development co-ordinators.
Our graduates find employment with a wide variety of companies including international planning institutes, national planning agencies, government departments, local authorities, transportation agencies, planning consultancy firms, urban regeneration companies, wind & solar energy companies, and environmental NGOs.
Fees, Funding and Scholarships
MRUP Regional & Urban Planning (W032) Full Time
- EU Year 1 - € 7455
- EU Year 2 - € 7455
MRUP Regional & Urban Planning (W178) Full Time
- EU Year 1 - € 8495
- EU Year 2 - € 8495
- nonEU Year 1 - € 24200
- nonEU Year 2 - € 23800
***Fees are subject to change Tuition fee information is available on the UCD Fees website. Please note that UCD offers a number of graduate scholarships for full-time, self-funding international students, holding an offer of a place on a UCD graduate degree programme. For further information please see International Scholarships.
- Applicants should present an undergraduate degree with at least a lower class honours or equivalent (GPA at least 2.8), in any academic field, with a preference for fields of study related to Planning and/or equivalent relevant professional experience.
- Applicants whose first language is not English must also demonstrate English language proficiency of IELTS 6.5 (no band less than 6.0 in each element) or equivalent.
Trevor Newman, I had always heard stories about the great culture, beautiful landscape, and hospitality of the Irish people, so Ireland had always been a place I wanted to visit. When it came to choosing a masters programme, Ireland was the first place I looked. I chose the MRUP at UCD, because of my interest in the module titles and the international accreditation by the Royal Town Planning Institute (RTPI). The focus of the school on international examples and the opportunity to write a thesis about any planning related subject was also of interest to me. The knowledge and quality of teaching within the MRUP programme really stood out and the diverse subject matter covered throughout the course gives a great deal of flexibility for future interests and job opportunities.
*Courses will remain open until such time as all places have been filled, therefore early application is advised
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 25, 2018