1-year Master for mid-career professionals
The Master in Public Affairs (MPA) is Sciences Po's flagship full-time one-year programme for mid-career professionals interested in public policy and the interaction of public and private sectors. It prepares students for today's policy environment which is co-developed, co-produced and co-managed by empowered individuals.
The programme focuses on policy design and implementation as well as on the management of public affairs and introduces participants to real-world policy problems. Graduates will be equipped with new skills to navigate between local and global perspectives, and from public-private partnerships to international organisations and civil society. In particular, the MPA will:
- Foster their analytical capacity through a multidisciplinary approach
- Develop their managerial skills, with a focus on leadership, negotiation, crisis communication, decision-making and budgeting
- Equip graduates with a multidimensional and panoramic vision of public affairs that embraces a plurality of values, ethics and cultural contexts.
Innovative teaching methods
The MPA emphasizes interdisciplinary analytical tools and hands-on training workshops. It uses case studies and relies on the experience and the diversity of the student body. A high level of interaction is enabled by the small size of the class (the programme enrols 25 to 30 students per year).
Students are also engaged in a policy project, which gives them the opportunity to collaborate with clients to co-develop and test solutions for public policy challenges in the field.
The School of Public Affairs offers has partnered with HEC Paris to offer a dual degree for mid-career professionals who already have a few years experience in the public or private sector.
Structure and Curriculum
One-week orientation period in August to refresh students' quantitative skills, to introduce major policy issues which will be discussed throughout the year, and to launch their individual projects.
Fall Semester consisting of:
- two core courses*, Public Policy and Macro Economics for Public Policy;
- one common core curriculum course;
- and two courses to be chosen among the policy streams offer or the electives.
Two-week session in January to develop practical skills and focus on specific policy issues.
Spring semester consisting of:
- three core courses, Policy Implementation, Public Economics and Leadership & Organizational Change;
- combined with two elective courses to be chosen among the policy streams offer or the electives;
- and the policy project.
Summer session consisting of advanced courses and focusing on developing practical leadership and management skills, while completing the policy project.
In addition to the above, students may choose to enrol in a language course. Non-French speakers are particularly encouraged to enrol in French language classes.
The overall required number of credits is 80 ECTS (or 20 standard Sciences Po courses).
*Standard courses at Sciences Po are 24 contact hours (12 sessions of 2 hours, over 12 weeks) with about the same number of hours of work outside the classroom. One 24 hour-class is worth 4 ECTS credits.
Eligibility and admissions
The candidates should be committed to promoting the public good. They should have at least five years of professional experience in the public, private or non-profit sector, be proficient in English, and hold at least a Bachelor's degree.
The MPA is a full-time one-year programme. It starts late-August and ends at the end of June.
Application Deadline: 4 May 2018.
- Early February 2018 for complete applications received before 5 January 2018.
- Early April 2018 for complete applications received before 2 March 2018.
- Mid-June 2018 for complete applications received before 4 May 2018.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 28, 2018