The mission of Hawaii Pacific University’s Masters in Public Administration (MPA) program is to provide students, especially non-traditional students, with career options and occupation opportunities in the U.S. Federal Government, State, City, and local governments, as well as nonprofit organizations. Focusing on the formal and practical study of executive management and institutional structure while recognizing the need for flexibility without sacrificing academic integrity, students will receive preparation to serve as supervisors, managers, and leaders in the public service domain. Innovative course design and related program partnerships will provide both traditional and distance learning course delivery alternatives empowering our students to live, work, and learn in an ever-changing global society.
The concentration of criminal justice within the MPA focuses on the expansion of conceptual and practical knowledge critical to the fulfillment of leadership roles in criminal justice or in social services.
Why a Masters Degree in Public Administration?
- The MPA provides education for careers in the U.S. federal, state, and local governments.
- Classes are geographically positioned downtown Honolulu across from government career centers.
- It offers elective courses or the choice of a concentration in Criminal Justice or Nonprofit Management.
- This Masters's degree is a 1-year program if students take 2 courses each in the 6, 8-week terms.
Students in HPU’s MPA will:
- Learn how public administration and leadership differ from management in the private sector.
- Prepare for jobs in government, charitable organizations, or any other nonprofit organization.
- Have access to several topical and current publications in Public Administration.
- Share their course-related experiences with other master's degree program majors at HPU.
- $55 Application Fee
- Official Transcript: reflecting conferred bachelor's degree. Master's if applicable.
- 2 Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of purpose/essay
- English Proficiency - www.hpu.edu/gradintl
Program Learning Outcomes
Students who complete the Master of Public Administration will:
- Identify problems or objectives associated with public administration issues, collect and analyze evidence in support of those problems or objectives, assess assumptions, and define relevant individual perspectives.
- Recognize and articulate information needs, and to access evaluate, and use relevant source material effectively, ethically, and legally facilitate leadership and management in public governance.
- Synthesize relevant information and concepts, and effectively, clearly, and persuasively articulate their perspectives to a diverse and changing workforce and citizenry.
- Demonstrate in the MPA Capstone advance knowledge, skills, and public service perspectives which allow for participation in and contribution to the policy process.
About the School
At HPU we believe that it is our responsibility to give back to the community and respect the land we live in. Students, faculty, staff, and the broader university community are encouraged to find exp ... Read More