For experts on science & research, foundations, parliaments, civil service, associations, international organizations, non-governmental organizations, opinion research centers, political consulting, journalism, public relations.
New Educational Dimensions for the Management of Politics, Administration, and Organizations
The public sector finds itself in one of the most important phases of transformation in the history of modern statehood. The following examples are indicative of this profound change:
- European integration;
- new global and regional interdependence;
- the call for more efficient and more citizen-oriented administrative management;
- debates about privatization, public-private partnerships, or de-bureaucratization;
- the introduction of Electronic Government;
- the crisis of confidence in public institutions, with issues concerning ethical standards and new forms of political communication. This doesn't just include public, communal, and international administration, but rather public enterprises, non-government organizations, non-profit organizations, and political authorities such as alliances, parties, and parliaments.
The new generation of executives in the public sector needs ever-more management and strategic expertise to prepare them for making complex decisions in the dynamic environment of politics, economics, and society – on both a national and an international level.
ZU offers an innovative training and research program in the form of management-oriented politics and administrative sciences with international relations, in which social scientific elements of organizational research and policy research are combined with economics, management skills, and the most important elements of public law.
In this context, the faculty of Public Management & Governance sees itself as a research and education laboratory which promotes problem-centered training for the public sector in interdisciplinary dialog, with an international profile, and in a theory-driven way.
The following characteristics particularly distinguish the master program in "Politics, Administration & International Relations".
1. Specialization Within Master Degrees
Three tracks are available:
TRACK I: International Relations & Global Politics
How are the political aspects of international economic relations arranged? How is development policy directed? How is international law constituted? How are European and international political processes arranged?
TRACK II: Political Institutions & Decisions
How do political decision-making processes work? What do we learn from psephology? How do people behave politically? Which players and institutions define politics?
TRACK III: Public Goods & Services
Can public goods be restricted? How can the performance of organizations be measured and improved? What recent developments are there in the area of E-Government?
2. Research Project
What defines academic work? Academic vs. practical work. Are they opposites?
The best way to answer this question is to pursue academics yourself. Beginning with the formulation of a concrete question which should be answered by means of the choice of methods, through the implementation of the analysis, to the interpretation of the results, the students will have the support structure of the professorate at hand while carrying out their autonomous academic work.
3. Co-operation with the Universities of Konstanz and Zürich
The politics and administration faculties of the University of Konstanz, the University of Zürich, and Zeppelin University have joined forces to pool their expertise. Selected ZU master students receive a travel scholarship to attend courses in Konstanz or Zürich.
Although a good number of courses are offered in English at ZU, students will not be in a position to complete a degree program in English. Knowledge of English is preferred; knowledge of German is an absolute necessity. ZU requires that all degree-seeking applicants demonstrate a minimum of intermediate-level German skills.
Selection Days for the Fall Semester 2018:
- Tuesday, June 26, 2018 | Application deadline: Monday, 11 June 2018
- Wednesday, 11 July 2018 | Application deadline: Monday, 25th June 2018
- Wednesday, 25th July 2018 | Application deadline: Monday, 09. July 2018
This school offers programs in:
Last updated May 24, 2018