MPAM - MASTER IN PERFORMING ARTS MANAGEMENT
- LANGUAGE English and Italian
- TYPE Full Time
- INTAKE January 2018
- LENGTH 18 Months
- LOCATION Milan
- TUITION FEE 15000 €
The Master in Performing Arts Management (MPAM) is a 18th months program designed for students who who wish to pursue a managerial career within the entertainment industry.
The program is designed in partnership with ACCADEMIA TEATRO ALLA SCALA and TEATRO PICCOLO DI MILANO.
The aims of the programme are to develop a sense of entrepreneurship, the ability to expand the network in the artistic-cultural sector, acquire the know-how to work in the entertainment industry to be able to understand functions, applications and developments, in order to prepare the students for a career in any area of the business, from production to marketing and distribution.
The Master in Performing Arts Management (MPAM) is a one-year program designed for students who wish to pursue a managerial career within the entertainment industry.
THE FIVE KEY WORDS
OSMOSIS: "economy" and "culture" are two perfectly complementary materials, when it comes to performing arts. The main objective of the Master is to forge professionals with strong skills in both areas.
UNIQUENESS: the Academy has developed a teaching method of the highest level. Students are offered the only opportunity to live to 360 ° the dynamics of the Teatro alla Scala, learning directly from the professionals who work there.
GLOBAL NETWORK: collaboration between the Academy, MIP Politecnico di Milano Graduate School of Business and the Piccolo Teatro di Milano puts students in an international network of contacts with theaters, festivals and show institutions. The Master also allows you to analyze all aspects of the show live through testimonials, seminars, meetings and many other dynamics. The teaching staff includes professionals from Opera Europa, Metropolitan Opera House, Royal Opera House Covent Garden, English National Opera, Opera de Rennes, Berliner Philharmoniker, Hong Kong Arts Festival, DeVos Institute and WolfBrown.
LEARNING BY DOING: the teaching approach helps to have a direct contact with the world of work. The pride of the Master is the internship, which takes place at the most important Italian and foreign institutions operating in the sector.
TUTORING: the staff of Master ensures a constant support to the students, especially in view of the comparison with the way of work.
The Master’s programme is designed to prepare global professionals who can bring a solid cultural and artistic background coupled with economic and managerial skills to the production of stage performances, with a particular focus on Europe, North America and emerging markets.
Centering the development of each individual student, the curriculum features an organically structured set of complementary and interdependent modules and activities.
The introductory coursework, addressing cultural policies, outreach and education, defines the objectives and goals of theatre managers. The course plan continues by providing methods and instruments – auditing, marketing, communication and PR, fundraising, project management, legislative framework – to allow professionals to produce projects that are in line with a given contemporary economic and social context. The course is completed with an internship at an internationally acclaimed performance institute.
- Cultural policies, educational activities and outreach
- Theater as production model
- Festival as production model
- Economic sustainability and perfomance management
- Human resources and corporate organization
- Performing arts marketin
- Field project (Piccolo Teatro)
- Fundraising for the performing arts
- Team building and negotiation skills
- Management and innovation for the performing arts
- International legal and regulatory framework
- Emerging markets
- Arts and crafts in the performing arts
- Supply chain management for the performing arts
- Artistic administration intensive
- Dance management intensive
- To acquire a global vision of the international cultural sector, with a special focus on European, North American and emerging markets;
- To recognize the relevance of public cultural policies at the local and international level and the social impact of the performing arts;
- To understand the economics, regulation and organization of the performing arts industry;
- To study the impact of new technologies on the performing arts;
- To learn how to use marketing, project management and fundraising tools;
- To live the uniqueness of Italian cultural traditions and the extraordinary experience of the city of Milan;
- To learn by doing with field projects and internships at acclaimed Italian and international institutions.
January 2018 – June 2018:
- Intensive coursework
- Attendance: 5 days per week, Monday through Friday, 6 hours a day
June 2018 – June 2019
- 3 to 6-month internship in a qualified performing arts institution in Italy or abroad
- Project Work defense
- Candidates with a B.A. or equivalent who wish to pursue a career in the performing arts or cultural sector;
- Candidates with formal music, arts, or dance education who wish to acquire general knowledge of international cultural policies and develop their management and organizational skills;
- Candidates without a formal degree who have a minimum of 3 to 5 years working experience in any field and wish to pursue a career change. General knowledge of the nonprofit sector would be advantageous.
HOW TO APPLY
Enrolment in the Master's in Performing Arts Management is rolling based and until full capacity.
Candidates must submit their applications by the deadlines indicated below to be admitted to the course beginning the following January.
- EU citizens: November 30
- Non-EU citizens: October 30
- Copy of passport or European ID
- University transcript or equivalent
- English certificate (if available)
- Proof of payment of the admission fee (€80)
The selection will be based on CV analysis, an interview (face to face or via Skype) and a written test.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 18, 2017