The two-year Master’s Degree Program in Pedagogy and Teaching for Sustainability is a multidisciplinary program focusing on pedagogical approaches to promote sustainability through education. The program is divided into orientation studies, methodological studies, subject studies, and other studies. The curriculum of the program has a global focus and it offers a wide opportunity to learn about sustainability from ecological, cultural or/and social aspects with a pedagogical viewpoint. The themes considered are related to teaching and learning in different subjects and educational contexts.
The program tackles global and current issues of sustainability and will be considered from the viewpoint of teaching and pedagogy constituting the core of Finnish educational expertise recognized worldwide. The program provides academic tools for developing students’ theoretical and empirical understanding of sustainability and recognizing it in teaching. In the course of their studies, students will learn how to apply their knowledge and skills in planning, implementing, and assessing different learning activities in primary and secondary school.
- Level of degree: Master's degree
- Program duration: 2 years / 120 ECTS credits
- Language of instruction: English
- Application period: 1.12.2020 - 20.1.2021
- Program start: September 2021
- Tuition fee: EU/EEA nationals no tuition fee; non-EU/EEA nationals 8,000 €/academic year
- Tuition waivers available for everyone
- Study campus: Joensuu
Why study with us?
- In this program, you will learn about sustainability from ecological, cultural or/and social aspects with a pedagogical viewpoint.
- Finnish educational expertise is recognized worldwide. Added with a global focus, the result is a perfect combo for anyone interested to develop their expertise in promoting sustainability in primary and secondary schools.
A recognized applicable Bachelor’s degree (or higher) including studies in education is required for eligibility.
The program will accept a temporary degree certificate. The temporary degree certificate is issued as a replacement for the actual degree certificate in case the latter cannot be given to students immediately after the studies have been completed due to technical or administrative reasons. The temporary degree certificate should include the same information as the actual degree certificate. The program will accept a temporary certificate only if all the studies included in the degree have been successfully completed.
The program will conditionally accept applications from persons who will not have graduated by the time the application period for the program ends. Conditionally accepted applicants are required to indicate their anticipated graduation date in their application and submit an officially certified copy of their last transcript of records by the end of the application period. The conditional applicants must submit their final degree certificate and the final transcript of records to the program coordinator by 6 August 2021.
Minimum requirements for the language skills verified through official language tests are as follows:
- IELTS Academic: overall score of 6.5, with 5.5 in the writing section
- TOEFL iBT: overall score of 92, with 22 in the writing section
- TOEFL rPDT: 20 in the reading section, 20 in the listening section, and 22 in the writing section
- PTE Academic: overall score of 62, with 54 in the writing section
- C1 Advanced (formerly CAE): overall score of 180, with 162 in the writing section
- C2 Proficiency (formerly CPE): overall score of 180, with 162 in the writing section
- National Certificate of Language Proficiency (YKI): level 5 in the reading comprehension, writing, and speaking sections
Language test certificates are valid for two years from the day they are issued and they have to be valid during the application period.
A language test is not required of applicants who have completed:
- Upper secondary education in English in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the United States, or in a Nordic country.
- A university degree in English in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the United States, Switzerland, or an EU/EEA country.
- A university degree in Finland with English as a major subject.
- Application period: 1 December 2020 – 20 January 2021, 15.00 p.m. (GMT+2).
- Applications are submitted through the national Studyinfo portal (studyinfo.fi) by 20 January 2021. Once the online application has been filled out, the required enclosures must be uploaded electronically to the application by 27 January 2021 15.00 (GMT+2).
Applicants must submit the following documents:
- Degree certificate(s). The degree certificate should include the name of the institution awarding the degree, the date of issue, the name of the degree, and the name of the degree holder.
- Transcript of academic records. The transcript should include full titles and completion period of the units that the student has completed for the degree (or at the very least the overall study time at the institution), grades and credit points obtained together with information on the grading scale used at the institution at the time of the study. The transcript must cover the full length of studies.
- Certificate of English proficiency. For detailed information about submitting the language test reports, see language requirements.
- Copy of the identification page of the passport.
- Motivation letter. The letter should depict the applicant's educational goals and study objectives for the University of Eastern Finland and explain their personal motives for choosing this particular program.
Please note that country-specific requirements apply only to admitted applicants. During the application period, only scanned copies of original documents are required.
If educational documents are issued in a language other than English, Finnish, or Swedish, official translations of them to one of these languages are required. Also officially certified copies of the original documents have to be submitted. All educational documents must be officially certified or legalized.
Incomplete applications will not be processed.
The results of the selection will be announced to the applicants by 26 March 2021. All applicants will be informed of their acceptance/rejection by email. The successful candidates are required to accept their study place by 3 May 2021, 15.00 p.m. (GMT+2). Students will start their studies in September 2021.
The program will accept 15 students.
Applicants will be placed in a rank order based on their earlier academic performance, their motivation letter, and their suitability to the program based on their earlier studies. To be eligible for the program, all assessed items must meet the criteria for academic excellence.
Tuition fees and waivers
The program is offered free of charge for citizens of EU/EEA countries and Switzerland. There is an annual tuition fee of 8000 euros for other students.
In 2021, all new students receive a scholarship covering 70 % of the tuition fee.
About the School
With approximately 15,000 students and 2,500 members of staff, the University of Eastern Finland is one of the largest universities in Finland. The university’s campuses are located in Joensuu and Kuo ... Read More