At present, there are few programs of this type in the world, and ours is the only taught in English in Europe. Organized in collaboration with Ca’ Foscari University, Venice and Institut de Practices Philosophiques, Argenteuil, our 2-year MA’s main purpose is the intense and comprehensive high-quality certified formation of well-trained professionals in applied/practical philosophy, which include philosophical counseling and consultancy for individuals and organizations, ethical counseling, and philosophy for children. Employing solid philosophical knowledge and general counseling skills, the successful graduates will facilitate the thinking of a client or group of people via the five methods generated by philosophy: critical thinking, conceptual analysis, phenomenology, thought experiments, and creative thinking.
Main subjects studied
- Philosophical tools of argumentation, deliberation and critical reasoning;
- Phsycho-analytic phenomenology applied in clinical practice;
- Philosophy as a way of life and spiritual practice;
- Foundations of counseling and psychotherapy;
- Philosophy with children Psychopathy and philosophy of psychiatry.
- Theory and practice of philosophical counseling;
- Care and responsibility ethics;
- Foundations of the philosophy of mind;
- Psychology of organizations and groups;
- Corporate communication;
- Pragmatics and techniques of communication;
- Philosophy with children.
- General principles of Psychopathology, Psychiatry and Clinical Semiology;
- Epistemology of psychotherapy;
- Applications of critical thinking în counseling;
- Introduction to bioethics;
- Philosophy in prisons;
- Philosophy with children.
- Clinical observation;
- Applied philosophy of Interculturality;
- Philosophy with children;
- Counseling skills;
- Supervised individual and group counseling.
In order to help them become successful philosophical practitioners, the students are trained primarily in the critical methods of academic philosophy, particularly those developed from the original dialogical logic. But the bulk of the study time is dedicated to the teaching and practicing of applied philosophical-ethical skills. Employing solid philosophical knowledge and specific counseling skills, the students are trained to facilitate the thinking of a client or group of people. Their activity will be essentially philosophical because it focuses on significant, but problematic concepts, the kind of concepts used not only for everyday thinking and communication but also as a basis for actions. As practical philosophers, they will often identify hidden assumptions, theoretical frameworks, and worldviews. These inform the sorts of questions they will learn to ask. They will also use their training and experience to help clients find their own philosophical insights able to ground their future attitudes decisions.
Impact on graduates’ careers
Increasingly sought worldwide, especially in helping with logical-philosophical, axiological, and ethical analysis and foundation of decision-making; social and multicultural relations; and ethical issues, faced by businesses and multinational companies; certified individual philosophical counselling practice; philosophy for children facilitation; philosophy for prisons; philosophy-based (including ethical) consultancy for public institutions or private organizations.
Address: Bd. V. Parvan 4, Timisoara, Room 511
Facebook: Master of Philosophical Counselling and Consultancy
Program taught in: