State-Of-The-Art Research in Methodology and Statistics
Modern society is highly data-driven. Everything is monitored and measured, yet there are major challenges to finding optimal ways to design research, analyse data, and extract the most valuable information.
This Master’s programme combines the research expertise of the following departments at Utrecht University (UU) and the University of Twente (UT):
- the Department of Methods and Statistics (UU)
- the Department of Biostatistics, University Medical Centre Utrecht (UU)
- the Department of Research Methodology, Measurement Methods, and Data Analysis (UT)
The collaboration between these departments provides you with an exceptionally broad range of internship opportunities and thesis topics focussed on the following fields: Behavioural Sciences | Biomedical Sciences | Social Sciences
Combining Theory and Application
Through the programme’s cutting-edge research in methodology and statistics, you will acquire the knowledge and skills needed to carry out fundamental and applied research at the level of a PhD project. This two-year Master’s programme provides you with answers to questions such as:
- What is the best way to set up a clinical trial to test new medical treatments?
- How do we estimate the number of illegal immigrants in the Netherlands?
- How do we obtain valid answers in a survey about sensitive topics like income or tax fraud?
- How do we accumulate knowledge through Bayesian updating techniques?
You will also develop your ability to consult with applied researchers on a wide range of methodological and statistical issues. During your studies, you will select a specialisation in the behavioural, biomedical, or social sciences, which you will explore in depth through electives and (the preparation for) your Master’s thesis.
Every year, students are invited to participate in the organisation of conferences, through which they have the opportunity to interact with scientists from around the world. In addition, there are opportunities to take electives abroad.
Excellent Career Prospects
The Methodology and Statistics programme prepares you for a scientific career in academia, research institutes, government organisations, NGOs, or private enterprises. Utrecht University, University Medical Centre Utrecht, and the University of Twente maintain strong partnerships with various non-academic institutions, such as Cito, RCEC, CentERData, CBS, TNO, UMCU, LSAC, CTB, ETS, AMC, SASS, Ministry of Education, Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment, Stichting Arq, Dutch Inspectorate of Education, Danone and Ex:plain which provides excellent career prospects for our students. The majority of our graduates obtain positions as PhD students either in one of the three departments that coordinate this Master’s programme or in other related departments in the Netherlands or abroad.
Thesis and Preparation
You can prepare for, and write your thesis at one of the three participating departments, or you can broaden your experience by working with organisations such as Statistics Netherlands, CITO, Social Cultural Planning Office, TNO, Research Centre for Examination and Certification, and UMCU.
Through this Master’s programme, you will develop the skills and knowledge to function as a qualified practitioner who is ready for PhD training or a research career outside academia. You'll learn how to:
- develop methodological and statistical approaches that are required by new developments;
- evaluate commonly used methodological and statistical approaches; and
- apply methodological and statistical approaches in cooperation with behavioural, biomedical, and social sciences researchers.
You will be fully equipped with the academic skills and knowledge necessary for your future career.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated March 3, 2017