The Media & Creative Industries programme covers current issues in organisation, policies, production, management, marketing and distribution of media companies and creative industries, paying due attention to the impact of digitalization and digital media and the role of audiences.
While the programme focuses on the workings of the media and creative industries, it also addresses the cultural significance of the media and creative industries for society.
The programme meets the growing demand for academically trained media and creative industry experts who are able to respond effectively and inventively to changing conditions, complex issues, and new opportunities for media and creative enterprises.
Why choose Media & Creative Industries in Rotterdam
- Using state-of-the-art theory and methods, you will learn to trace, analyse and address key developments and challenges in the media and creative industries.
- You will be part of an international, interactive and small scaled classroom, enabling you to develop a comprehensive, international perspective on the media and creative industries.
- You will receive instruction from an enthusiastic team of specialised lecturers who actively support you and who provide intensive and individual coaching.
- You can join several Honours Projects, while you also have the opportunity to extend your study by going on an exchange.
- The programme's practice-based approach and distinctive focus on the labour market will bring you into contact with a variety of media and creative industry professionals, which will facilitate access to high profile jobs in the media and creative industries.
Bridging the knowledge gap
During the premaster programme, you will enrol in selected courses at the undergraduate level. You will become acquainted with key concepts and approaches in media and communication studies and the social sciences. After a successful completion of the premaster’s, you will have all the knowledge you will need to meet the requirements of the Media & Business, the Media & Creative Industries or the Media, Culture & Society programme of our MA in Media Studies. Students who successfully finish the premaster will have direct access to the master programme.
Developing analytical and research skills
You will be educated as an academic professional in the premaster programme. You will train your academic skills and learn how to make a critical analysis of current issues and development in the field of media and communication. In addition, you will practice writing essays and learn the fine arts of conducting social scientific research.
At the end of the premaster year, you can put your newly gained research skills and knowledge to good use when you write your final paper, a bachelor’s thesis.
The premaster Media Studies in Rotterdam
The premaster programme for the Master Media Studies in Rotterdam is a highly intensive one-year course preparing you for the Master’s programme Media & Business, Media & Creative Industries, or Media, Culture & Society.
You will learn about statistics and acquire academic skills, write a large number of essays and, to top it all off, conduct independent research. Clearly, we expect a lot of you. But your efforts will be rewarded when you can start the Master’s programme in the following year.
The master programme can be completed part-time. We do not offer any evening classes, but the course load can be spread over two years. A personal study programme will be developed in agreement with the student advisor.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated August 20, 2018