Advanced Composite Engineering and Science (M-ENG ACES)
This Master develops skills for providing innovative and optimized solutions in the design and manufacturing of composite materials for research and in industry.
The performance of fiber-reinforced organic-matrix composites and structures are influenced by the constituting materials and the processing stage. Composite mechanical design can be efficiently and optimally performed when one has a good understanding of manufacturing influences and constraints. Therefore, the courses offered in this program will provide a theoretical and experimental emphasis on the relationships between constituents, processing, and structural design.
The program of study lasts two academic years - denoted by M1 and M2. Advanced Composite Engineering and Science is one of four specialisms available within the Mechanical Engineering stream.
The language of instruction is English across the two years.
Course Content - M1
Language of instruction: English
|M1 - Autumn Semester Courses||ECTS||M1 - Spring Semester Courses||ECTS|
|Continuum Mechanics||5||Engineering Materials||5|
|Fluid Mechanics||5||Constitutive Laws||5|
|Programming and Algorithms||4||Structural Mechanics||5|
|Numerical Methods||4||Computer-aided Design||5|
|Vibration and Differential Equations||4||Mechanical Design||4|
|Business Environment||4||Conferences and Initiation to Research||2|
|Modern Languages||4||Modern Languages||4|
Course Content - M2
30 ECTS Credits per semester.
Language of instruction: English
|M2 - Autumn Semester Courses||ECTS||M2 - Spring Semester
|Composite Constituents and Processes||3||Master Thesis or Industrial Internship||30|
|Composite Processing Modelling||3|
|Manufacturing System Organization||4|
|Multi-Physics Modelling for Processes||4|
NB Course content may be subject to minor changes.
Examples of previous internships in the industry:
- Product design of composite motorcyclist protection.
- Sol-gel functionalization by nano-particle entrapping: a formulation for transparency.
- Edge sealing and release agent optimization for aeronautic composite processes.
Examples of previous internships in research labs:
- Composite design with multi-objective optimization.
- In-situ compression of carbon-fiber reinforcements in X-Ray Tomography.
- Modeling and characterization of thin-film piezoelectric materials.
- Simulate and optimize composite mechanical design and manufacturing using numerical tools.
- Model materials’ behavior and physics involved in composite processes.
- Characterize and manufacture composite materials.
In addition, to the above specialism-specific skills, students will also develop more general skills:
- Identify models, perform simulation and analyze results.
- Communicate comprehensive results in a meaningful way.
- Undertake bibliographic surveys of international research and professional literature.
- Manage or be part of a project.
Prospects for employment or further study
- Sectors: Aeronautics, Automotive, Transportation, Wind, and Marine Energy, Materials Producers, Consulting.
- Fields: Mechanical Engineering, Design, Materials, Advanced Processes, Manufacturing, Research, and Innovation.
- Positions: Mechanical Engineer, Process Engineer, Design Engineer, Research and Innovation Engineer (post Ph.D.), Consultant.
Faculty and Research Facilities
This Master relies on the Centrale Nantes’ faculty, staff and research facilities of the GeM Institute, the LHEEA Laboratory, and the LS2N Institute.
Airbus, Renault, Faurecia, Solvay, IFREMER, CETIM.
About the School
Founded in 1919, Centrale Nantes (ECN) is among the top higher education and research institutions in France in Science & Engineering. Its purpose is to develop top-level scientists & engineer ... Read More