Institute of Materials Science and Engineering (IMSE) was founded in August 2005, and currently offers both master and doctoral programs.
The long-term aim of our institute is to establish a world-class materials science research teaching unit. As for short-term, we focus on developing renewable energy and hydrogen-related technology by combining different fields of research within NCU, such as Nano-structures, catalysts, energy, and environment. Hydrogen production, solar cells, LEDs, fuel cells, secondary batteries, and supercapacitors are our important topics.
IMSE currently consists of 7 faculties, 2 chair professor, 2 joint faculties, and 2 adjunct faculties. In addition to the Institute office, there are individual offices for all the professors in IMSE. Superior integration with the Center of Precision Instruments has provided the necessary facilities for materials studies, fully supporting our high-quality and advanced research.
Fundamental Core Courses
- Special Topics on Surface Analysis
- Phase Transformation
- Electronic Materials Science
- Heat treatment
- Solid State Materials Physics
Professional Development Courses
- Processing of Semiconductor Thin Films
- Processing and Characterization of Nano-materials
- Materials for Hydrogen Energy
- Special Topic on Electrochemistry
- Introduction to Semiconductor Devices
- Amorphous metallic alloys
Requirements for Graduation
Required credits: 24 credits
Duration of Study: 1-4 years
Other Requirements: 4 of the 6 core courses should be selected; students should pass at least 3 of them. Seminar course should be taken four semesters.
Research Facilities & Labs
- Raman Spectrometer (Uni RAM)
- Low-vacuum SEM (Hitachi 3500N)
- Focus Ion Beam (FEI Versa 3D)
- Field-emission SEM (FEI NOVA 230), (Hitachi S800), (FEI Inspect F50)
- Particle-size Analyzer (ZEN 4003)
- Surface Area and Porosity analyzer (Micromeritics ASAP2010)
- Research Proposal,
- Two Letters of Recommendation,
- TOEFL or Other Evidence of English Proficiency,
- Evidence of Chinese Proficiency,
- Related Academic Publications.
About the School
National Central University was originally founded in Nanjing, China in 1915. NCU had later developed into a renowned academic institution with comprehensive programs and outstanding faculty, enjoying ... Read More