Would you like to pursue a career in transport research or management? Then this program is a great value. It provides the theoretical and practical skills to set you up for success within the ever-changing world of transportation and logistics. This program, a collaboration with C-MAT, is specifically designed with an international audience in mind and aimed at recent graduates with a background in economics or management focusing on transport-related matters.
Antwerp being a large port city is the perfect place to learn about maritime and air transport management. This program is an international experience with excursions and company visits to prepare you for the challenges faced by the transport sector today.
This program is a collaboration between the Antwerp Management School (AMS) and the Centre for Maritime and Air Transport (C-MAT) of the Faculty of Business and Economics of the University of Antwerp.
The transport and logistics industry is under increasing pressure to provide sustainable solutions to global challenges such as climate change. To meet this demand, the industry can now rely upon the joint Center of Excellence of AMS and the Faculty of Business and Economics of the University of Antwerp. More than ever before, Antwerp will thus become the hub of top-notch academic research and future-proof master's programs on the supply chain, transport, and logistics.
AMS and C-MAT complement each other perfectly, in terms of topics, approach, and network.
After attending this program:
- You have both a broad and thorough knowledge of and insight in contemporary issues and the interdependencies of the transport-related business, based on research results and international experience drawn from the transport industry.
- You have specialized knowledge of and insight in the complexity of the transport chains, its various modes of transport, interfaces and actors, and their respective interaction with logistics management.
- You have specialized knowledge of and insight in the complexity of logistics management, particularly with regard to import-export management, warehousing and distribution of goods, and related legislation and regulation.
- You will be able to formulate a research question, to set up a research plan, and to critically evaluate research results within the domain of transport management.
- You will be able to apply the acquired scientific knowledge and skills to develop effective solutions for real-life business problems.
- You will be able to apply the acquired scientific knowledge and skills in order to prepare business economics-related policy decisions on transport, to implement them, and to follow up on them in the transport chain.
- You will be able to critically reflect on social developments, such as sustainability, and their impact on the transport industry from a (inter)national perspective.
- You will be able to critically analyze and synthesize his/her own research and/or solutions for complex case studies by means of scientifically sound methodologies and will be able to present them in a clear and concise manner.
Who are we looking for?
- You are interested in learning about all functions of the transportation sector, including maritime transportation, new innovations, and advanced industrial economics, etc.
- You are open-minded and eager to be in a truly international and multicultural setting.
- You have a master's degree or five years bachelor's degree in a relevant subject, with good study results or a bachelor's degree of four years of study in case of demonstrable equivalence with a master's degree (e.g. on the basis of the program's curriculum, successful attendance of relevant additional academic courses/training and/or relevant professional experience).
Upon successful completion of this Master, you will receive the following degree: ‘Master of Science in Maritime and Air Transport Management’.
In the first semester, you will participate in the compulsory courses (9 ECTS-credits) and choose between the options Management Fundamentals and Research Fundamentals (33 ECTS-credits).
The option Management Fundamentals is designed for students who want to upgrade their knowledge and abilities in the transport business and economics. It mainly prepares you for a management career in the maritime or air transport sector.
- Transport Business Economics and Policy
- Technology and Innovation
- Global Leadership Skills
- Advanced Managerial Economics
- Business Environment
- Capital Budgeting and Financing
- Project Methodology
- Master’s Dissertation in Transport Management
The option Research Fundamentals offers you a more methodological and quantitative training. You will receive excellent preparation for a career in for example consulting, policy, or research in the maritime or air transport sector. Moreover, this option can lay the groundwork for further academic pursuits such as a Ph.D.
- Transport Business Economics and Policy
- Global Leadership Skills
- Research Methodology
- Advanced Industrial Economics
- Welfare Economics
- Transport Modelling
- Master’s Dissertation in Transport Research
In the second semester, you will make a choice between a major in Air Transport or Maritime Transport. In this way, you can, even more, tailor your program to your specific interests and background. Take a look at the electives to see which courses are part of each major.
|Major Maritime Transport||Major Air Transport|
Global Leadership Skills
At AMS you embark on a personal development journey through which you will grow as a person and future leader. With the Global Leadership Skills track, we challenge and coach you to become more aware of who you are, how you cooperate with others, and what kind of career you want to pursue.
Throughout this journey, we will focus on these three levels of learning by working with a mixture of exercises, self-analysis instruments, moments of reflection, individual follow-up, collective sessions, and peer coaching. We will offer you relevant frameworks that help you understand who you are and how you relate to others. We will support you in understanding your strengths and needs, and defining your areas for growth. We will challenge you in developing a personal leadership claim that entails a global and sustainable perspective.
Global Leadership Skills development is more than a ‘nice to have’, it is a basic prerequisite for career success and recruiters will be assessing this when you apply for a job. Today’s employers are looking for an impressive set of soft skills when selecting young graduates. These include self-awareness, the ability to work collaboratively with others, leadership skills, the capacity to adapt to new situations and to develop new skills, openness to and respect for different perspectives, multicultural awareness, and long-term and system thinking, to name just a few. This course aims to support you in developing these skills and in finding a match between who you are and what the world of employment needs; between your career ambitions and what employers are looking for.
Once you’ve registered for this program, you can register for our AMS bootcamp, which will be organized the week before the start of your program. You can expect courses in academic writing, professional English, business research methods, and financial management. This summer school is not mandatory but highly recommended. Not only do we offer you courses of academic rigor, but we also offer you a trip to one of Belgium’s oldest cities Bruges, and of course it is an ideal opportunity to get to know your fellow students.
This program is organized in collaboration with C-MAT. You can apply via C-MAT.
The basic entry requirements for the program are a university degree (comprising a 4-year minimum full-time program) in a relevant subject and a thorough knowledge of English.
Admission will be granted by the admission board taking into account the application file of the student, academic background, motivation, language skills, and if applicable professional experience. One of the basic entry requirements for the program is a university degree:
- Applicants must hold a master’s degree or five years of bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject, with good study results.
- Applicants with a bachelor’s degree of four years of study can be admitted in case of demonstrable equivalence with a master’s degree (e.g. on the basis of the program’s curriculum, successful attendance of relevant additional academic courses/training, and/or relevant professional experience).
- Applicants with only a bachelor’s degree of three years of study will not be admitted to the Advanced Master programs. Multiple bachelor degrees of three years are not equivalent to a master's degree.
- Applicants who obtained their university degree under the European Bologna system (see http://www.ehea.info/members.aspx) must hold a degree comparable to level 7 of the European Qualifications Framework.
- Relevant work experience (preferably 2 years minimum) can be an additional selection advantage.
Since the program is taught in English, all applicants must be able to read, follow lectures, and express their thoughts in fluent written and spoken English. For students whose first language is not English, the following qualifications are required:
- A TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). A score of 550 minimum for the paper-based test (PBT) is required or 213 for the computer-based test (CBT), or 80 for TOEFL internet-based (iBT) score;
- The British Council IELTS (International English Language Testing Service with a minimum score of 6.5);
- Satisfactory standard in the verbal section of the Princeton Test (GMAT, Graduate Management Admission Test).
- Equivalent tests from accredited language testing organizations with a result that proves your proficiency in the English language;
- A first degree from a European university/college or overseas institution which provides adequate evidence of the proficiency in the English language;
- Other evidence that proves your proficiency in the English language and which satisfies the Admission Board.
Applicants who consider their knowledge of English to be insufficient, are therefore strongly advised to take English language courses, either in their home country before leaving, or during their stay in Antwerp. Throughout each academic year, the University of Antwerp organizes intensive English language courses for foreigners.
About the School
Antwerp Management School, the autonomous management school of the University of Antwerp (Belgium), offers 8 accredited Advanced Masters in a truly international context with study options in: Belgium ... Read More