The main aim of this 60 ECTS credits Master is to provide advanced education in the strategic management and marketing of destinations and tourist territories. The program specifically aims at capacitation, innovation, and leadership in the competitive and sustainable development of tourism, based on the recognition of its economic, social and cultural complexity and importance.
The study program of this Masters Course in the Management of Tourism Destinations thus covers conceptual, analytical and critical knowledge on the management, planning, and governance of destinations, and their promotion and communication involving the main trends that define the present and future evolution of leisure and mobility in their productive and entrepreneurial dimension as well as social phenomena.
- Science and Technology Park for Tourism and Leisure of Catalonia
- Federació d'Empresaris d'Hostaleria I Turisme de la província de Tarragona (FEHT)
- Patronat de Turisme de la Costa Daurada
- Catalan Tourist Board
There are two specializations taught in the second semester:
- Management and Governance of Destinations: in English
- Marketing and Branding of Destinations: in Spanish
Internships are an optional subject available for both online and face-to-face. They can be made at the Tourism Board, in cultural facilities, tourism companies which may be national or international, meaning the student can do it in their country of origin.
The Faculty of Tourism and Geography has a long tradition in managing the internships of their students.
Jacek Dylag / Unsplash
Graduates in the University master's degree in Management of Tourism Destinations are capable of working in:
- Planner and Strategic Manager of Tourist Destinations; Manager of Destinations; Manager of Destination Development and Quality Plans; Director of Destination Programmes and Technician for Tourism Planning
- Corporate Director of Organisations, Manager of Non-Profit Organisations in Tourism; Director of Business Tourism Group (hotel chain, intermediation, leisure corporations,...); Director of Tourism Company and Director of Tourism Division in a Business Group
- Director of Tourism Product; Manager of Specific Products and Technician for Tourism Product Development
- Operational Director; Director of Information, Promotion and Tourism Commercialisation; Director of Product in an Organisation; Director of Management Areas.
The research fields that the master's degree tries to cover are the following:
- R+D+I manager; Consultant/Advisor and Analyst.
- Professor/Research Assistant; Professors who teach tourism at different levels with a strong international perspective and Researchers accredited by the academic structure, doctors.
The access to the Master's Degree may be granted to university graduates in Tourism, Geography, Regional Planning, Economy, Business Management, Sociology, and Communication or similar.
The University Master's Degree in Management of Tourism Destinations is aimed at students that want to be trained on the regional management of tourism, with a particular focus on local tourism systems (destinations), using innovative concepts, techniques, and instruments derived from fundamental advances in tourism studies over the last decade, and successful cases and the experience of leading researchers and professionals on a global level.
As well as the compulsory general documentation required for pre-enrolment in the program, you must submit a proof of English level higher to that required (B.2).
Optionally you can also submit:
- Proof of work experience in the ambit of tourism.
- Proof of additional training related to the content of the master's degree (courses, seminars or other training activities).
- Proof of relevant stays abroad of a minimum of 12 weeks in English-speaking countries (for Spanish speakers) or Spanish-speaking countries (for non-Spanish speakers).
- Adequacy of the degree: a maximum of 10 points, according to the following order:
- Graduates in the discipline of Tourism, Geography, Regional Planning, Economy, Business Management, Sociology, Communication or similar fields: up to 10 points,
- Others: 0 points.
- Evaluation of the academic record of the degree: up to 4 points.
- Work experience in the ambit of tourism: up to 4 points.
- English level, superior to that required (B.2): up to 2 points.
- Additional training (which may be accredited) related to the content of the master's degree: up to 2 points.
- Relevant stays abroad (of a minimum of 12 weeks, accredited) in English-speaking countries or Spanish-speaking countries: up to 2 points.
However, if all the places on offer are not taken and you meet the access and admission requirements, you may be admitted without your merits being taken into account.
About the School
We are a young and dynamic university serving the needs of society, with an international outlook and a close relationship with our immediate socioeconomic environment.