Management Science and Engineering (120100)
Management Science and Engineering (MS&E) is one of the first-level disciplines in the Management field according to China’s discipline system. This discipline forms its knowledge base by combining the theories and methods from the modern management, economics, mathematics, system science and information science. It’s characterized by comprehensively applying the related scientific principles and analytical methods into solving the management problems in the society, economy, and enterprises from the perspective of qualitative and quantitative analysis.
Based on the theories and methods of systems science, this discipline aims at providing enterprises and other organizations with systematic theory foundations, methodological models, and information systems for solving the problems in operation, management, assessment, decision making and project management. Besides, this discipline is established as the earliest one and developed the most quickly in the field of management science, with a relatively complete theoretical system, distinct methodological model features, closer relations to engineering fields and extensive applications.
The China University of Petroleum was authorized to establish the discipline of Management Science and Engineering in 1986. Rich experience has been accumulated and the following distinctive features have been formed along with the discipline developing:
1. The research in resource value assessment, project economic evaluation, investment decisions and risk analysis, project management as well as peak oil studies in oil and gas industry have achieved advanced level in China, with some results even keeping up with advanced international level;
2. The research in system simulation, information and decision support system, systematical prediction and optimization, along with an innovative application research in the field of energy system have always been in the wake of academic frontier, achieving distinct results leading domestic research;
3. The researches in national energy strategy, development strategy of large energy enterprises, energy market system reform and analysis have been conducted based on modern management theories and methods, providing the government and oil enterprises with important references for the related decisions;
4. A series of research results have been achieved in corporate finance and securities market, financial management of oil companies, international energy market and trading system and risk management, part of which reached advanced level in China and has been directly adopted by national ministries and research institutions.
At present, about 10 supervisors are working full time in this discipline. The School of Business & Administration together with the China Energy Strategy Research Academy of our university provides favorable talents training conditions and predominant academic environment.
The master degree in MS&E is intended for students primarily interested in a career of research, and teaching, or high-level management and technical work in universities, research institutes, government, industries, especially related to energy economy and management. The graduates should be high qualified talents that are well developed morally, intellectually and physically, with rigorous and realistic academic attitudes, solid management theory base, systematic knowledge structure, strong research and innovation capability. For this objective, the following principle requirements are to be fulfilled.
Graduates of this major are bound to be qualified for positions in the government agencies, large and medium-size enterprises, universities and research institutions, and especially organizations or enterprises in the fields of petroleum or energy. In order to achieve this goal, students are required to:
1. Master sound fundamental theories in economics management such as systematic knowledge of management decision theories, quantitative analytic method, theories and methods of energy system analysis and planning, theories and methods of project management and engineering economics.
2. Be able to systematically analyze decision related issues and put forward approaches and solutions, have good knowledge about the most recent research results and development trend of the discipline, have the ability to conduct scientific research independently and coordinately with others, and develop the innovation capacity.
3. Learn about business management and decision methods, so as to do the decision support work in enterprises or organizations.
4. Skillfully master a foreign language to assist academic communication.
1. Theory, Methods and Applications of System Engineering
2. Oil and Gas Investment Decisions and Project Management
3. Energy Strategy and Systematic Analysis of Energy Policy
4. Finance Engineering and Risk Management
The normative time for full-time students is 2 years and it should not exceed 4 years.
The students shall earn no less than 34 credits. The concreted courses are listed in the following table.
Public Compulsory Courses
- Chinese Language
- Introduction to China
- Applied Statistical Methods
- Operations Research
- Project Session: Management Science and Engineering
- Decision Support System
- Management System Engineering
- Project Management
- Financial Engineering
- Advanced Econometrics
- Enterprise Management Strategy
- Energy System Model
Required Academic Activities
- Literature Review and Thesis Proposal
- Academic Activities
Major Elective Courses
- Data warehouse and Data Mining
- System Simulation
- Energy Economics
- International Petroleum Economics
- Production Management
- Statistical Software and Applications
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Technological Economics
- Management System of Energy Enterprises
- Other elective courses taken no more than 2 courses (4 credits)
- Economic Statistics
- Management Science
Note: Students are able to choose elective courses in other programs according to supervisor advice.
1. The required courses in the curriculum that the students don’t take and other courses of other majors of the business school are all allowed to be taken as selective courses. The “Other selective courses” in the chart include: master degree courses set up for other majors (petroleum and chemistry; mathematics, IT), as well as economic management courses for postgraduates in other “985” universities in Beijing.
2. Project Session for the Subject frontier course in mainly about an introduction and discussion of “major achievement and trends in the field of management science and engineering”. The teachers will have this course with 4-6 subjects discussed in the form of lecturers. Students are bound to participate in research and discussion and write a subject session report.
3. In terms of academic activities, postgraduate students are required to take at least 8 academic lectures and submit a written report containing mainly two parts: 1) a brief summary of all the academic activities; 2) a detailed analysis and conclusion of the lectures, as well as subjective comments. The report delivered should contain 3000-5000 characters. The mentor will be in charge of the assessment.
4. Supplementary courses are meant for those whose undergraduate majors don’t fall into the field of economic management. Such courses will not be calculated into credit system but the scores of which will be contained in the students’ transcripts. The students missing or failing to pass supplementary courses are not allowed to take part in thesis defense.
Literature Review and Thesis Proposal
The topics chosen for thesis proposal should be within the scope of the discipline. Main contents of the proposal are composed of the background, significance and basis of the topic; current status and trends of relevant study home and abroad; research objects and contents; technological methods to be employed and the feasibility analysis; a forecast of key technologies and difficulties; and the research process in details. Students are required to read at least 30 articles before the proposal, among which 10 be written in foreign languages, and write a literature review (at least 6,000 words) in accordance with the format set by the graduate school and business school. The literature review will be evaluated by the proposal review group during the thesis proposal.
The student’s mentor along with 2-4 teachers of the same or similar research field constitute the review group, the opinions of whom serve as the references for the mentor to score the students’ proposal and literature review. The hundred percentage point system is used in scoring, with 70 percent as the passing grade. For those failed to pass the proposal, the mentor will decide whether to terminate their training or allow them to do the proposal again, which is bound to be completed in a month.
During their study at China University of Petroleum, postgraduate students are required to take at least 8 academic lectures and submit a written report containing mainly two parts: 1) A brief summary of all the academic activities; 2) A detailed analysis and conclusion of the lectures, as well as subjective comments. The report delivered should contain 3000-5000 characters. The mentor will be in charge of the assessment of academic activities which must be completed before dissertation defense. An academic report at an academic meeting made by the student can offset 5 lectures.