Master of Linguistics: Language Consultancy and Linguistic Documentation offers a program in general linguistics that focuses on the interaction between theory and data in the research traditions of anthropological, typological and descriptive linguistics. The emphasis on practical field work, cultural pragmatics, and anthropological perspectives makes this program unique in the Netherlands. Upon graduation, the student has the knowledge, skills and expertise to function as a linguistic consultant or linguistic researcher in many settings, especially in translation, cross-cultural communication and language documentation:
- knowledge of current developments in the fields of typological, descriptive and anthropological linguistics;
- the ability to reflect critically on scholarly publications in these fields;
- the skills to carry out linguistic research in fieldwork and cross-cultural linguistic consultancy settings in a methodologically adequate and systematic fashion;
- the ability to communicate the results of his or her research clearly and systematically to both fellow linguists and audiences outside academia;
- the ability to write a reference grammar of an underdocumented language in accordance with the international standards of descriptive and documentary linguistics.
There are three specialist courses in the first semester: Articulatory phonetics & the Typology of Sounds, Linguistic Research, and Describing Morphosyntax. In the second semester, the student takes two more specialist courses, Anthropological Linguistics and Field Methods & Linguistic Analysis and writes his/her MA thesis. In addition the student chooses elective courses and/or tutorials in both semesters.
The program enables you to work in the domains of language consultancy, linguistic documentation or (Bible) translation in the roles of consultant or researcher.
Admission and Application
Admission is based on a strict selection procedure. The Faculty’s Admission Board will decide upon your admission after having evaluated your complete online application. If you have read the admission criteria below and feel you are eligible for admission, please take the following steps to submit your application. Note that the initial application procedure is fully online and that scans of your relevant documents are required.
Program taught in: