The Master in Liberal Arts degree is an individualized graduate degree that offers you choice, freedom and flexibility. Choose from 18 different areas of study to customize a degree program that fits your interests and goals.
Choice – Freedom – Flexibility
The 36-credit-hour Master in Liberal Arts (MLA) program appeals to a diverse group of students who seek professional advancement, admission into doctoral programs or personal enrichment. Enhance your degree through study abroad and internship opportunities.
Areas of Concentration
- Applied Music - Vocal
- Art History
- General Psychology
- Human Services Management
- Instrumental Performance
- International Studies
- Irish Studies
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Political Science
- Russian Studies
- Undergraduate degree from an accredited school with a GPA of at least 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
- Official transcripts
- Two confidential letters of recommendation
- Essay describing applicant’s academic goals and interests
- Resume (optional)
- Standardized test scores are not required
- Interview with MLA Program Director
International applicants must also submit the following:
- Proof of English proficiency: International applicants (except those who are from countries where English is the only official language, those who have earned degrees from regionally-accredited U.S. institutions, or those who have earned degrees in countries where English is the official language of instruction) are required to submit proof of English proficiency. UST prefers the following services for determining English proficiency:
- Minimum score for IELTS – 7.0
- Minimum score for TOEFL IBT – 99-100
- English Language Center, Houston, TX Level 112
- Minimum score for PTE Academic-68
- International applicants must have all transcripts and diplomas evaluated by an accredited evaluation service. The MLA program prefers NACES accredited evaluation services. The evaluation must include course-by-course evaluations and grade point average equivalents.
The program requires the completion of 36 credit hours with an overall GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. You must take 9 credit hours of graduate seminars designed for the MLA program, 9 credit hours of electives (6 of which can be used toward a thesis or project) and 18–21 credit hours in a chosen area of concentration.Most students complete the degree in 2-3 years.
Choose classes based on your schedule and interests. Classes meet once or twice a week on the main UST campus, which is conveniently located in central Houston, TX. Graduate class sizes are small, on average 10-12 students per class. Small class sizes give you the opportunity to build lasting connections with your peers and professors.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated November 2, 2017