The subject of the Academic Master programme “Learning and Communication in Multilingual and Multicultural Contexts” is the study of multilingualism and multiculturalism and the issues raised by these themes in a society which is today characterized more and more by mobility, migration and diversity. In particular, it focuses on issues of linguistic and cultural diversity which arise among other things in the fields of education, communication and in different institutional and professional contexts. In courses and seminars, multilingualism is likewise an integral part of the forms of exchange between the students. In the philosophy of the programme, multilingualism is considered to be of added value in the building of knowledge.
At scientific level, the programme:
- aims to familiarize students with scientific literature dealing with multilingualism and multiculturalism in fields such as sociolinguistics, applied linguistics, education, epistemology, sociology, digital literacy, etc.
- aims to develop students’ detailed knowledge of the necessary methodological tools, with special emphasis on qualitative research in these areas
- aims to develop students’ independent research competences
- aims to accompany the thought processes necessary for students to act as responsible members of society, in connection with issues of multilingualism and multiculturalism
Some courses are multilingual.
- International Symposium in a Partner University;
- Master Class with renown international experts;
- Workplace training through short-term internship;
- Multilingual and multicultural staff and students;
- Connections to the public and private sector, including European Institutions
The MA programme also prepares students for further PhD studies in disciplines such as sociolinguistics, education, anthropology or sociology.
Careers beyond the academic world
The Master is an interdisciplinary programme that will open up career possibilities in domains such as education, journalism, new media, cultural and diversity management, cultural mediation, business and professional communication, tourism, translation, etc.
About the School
University of Luxembourg, Faculty of Language And Literature, Humanities, Arts And Education (FLSHASE)
The Faculty of Language and Literature, Humanities, Arts and Education is the largest of the three faculties of the University of Luxembourg.