The Master program in “Language and Mind. Linguistics and Cognitive Studies” is articulated in two curricula:
- Linguistics and Cognition
- Philosophy and Cognition
The program focuses, in both curricula, on the study of language in the perspective of cognitive studies and of the philosophy of language and mind. It is primarily addressed to students interested in:
- the in-depth description of human languages, in their different varieties including different dialects;
- the study of language as a cognitive capacity and its relevance in the domain of first and second language acquisition and language pathology;
- the study of the philosophical, psychological, biological and social bases of language and cognition;
- the study of the relevance of the analysis of human language for philosophical studies.
Students of the Master program in “Language and Mind. Linguistics and Cognitive Studies” will acquire:
- an in-depth knowledge of the theoretical models and of the analytical methods of contemporary linguistics, including experimental methods and field research;
- the ability to apply theories and methods of linguistic research for the description and analysis of different languages, in a comparative perspective;
- familiarity with different dimensions of the interdisciplinary study of language as a cognitive capacity, of first and second language acquisition, of the relation between mind, language and the brain;
- familiarity with the philosophical issues underlying the study of language as a cognitive capacity and of the relation between language and mind, as well as of the relation between logic, inference and meaning in natural language;
- the ability to utilize theories and methods of formal linguistics in different applied domains, such as language teaching, the study of language pathology, computational applications and psycholinguistic experimentation.
The articulation in two curricula aims to build a study experience that is at the same time coherent and diversified, in which a predominant number of courses shared by the two curricula are present in the first year while the second year is devoted to an in-depth study of one of the two curricula.
The English level required for adequately participate in the program is B2, which must be acquired by the end of the first year at the latest.
ACTIVE DOUBLE DEGREE PROGRAMMES FOR THE MASTER PROGRAMME IN LANGUAGE AND MIND
Students have the option to apply for a double master degree combining the Master program in Language and Mind. Linguistics and Cognitive Studies of the University of Siena with the Master program Logic and philosophy of science (LoPhiSc) of the University of Paris 1, Panthéon Sorbonne (classes in French). Furthermore, through a partnership agreement between LoPhiSc and the Master program CogMaster-École Normale Supérieure (Ulm)-Paris, the students applying for the double master degree will also have the opportunity to attend classes offered within the frame of the CogMaster.
International students wishing to apply for a Laurea Magistrale (Master’s Degree) must possess a degree or a university three-year diploma, or another study qualification from overseas, recognized as suitable, and with specific curricular requisites and adequate personal preparation, verified with the modes set out in the learning regulations for each master’s degree course, that also state the specific access criteria.
Please note that some programmes may have a restricted access and the application could be subject to admission tests.
International students wishing to enroll at a first cycle (bachelor - laurea triennale) degree programme taught in Italian or English or to the non-restricted access single cycle degree in Giurisprudenza at the University of Siena, can submit their documents in order to receive a letter of acceptance through the online platform within the deadline set by the University for each academic year.
The applications on the online platform for the assessment of entry qualifications of international students wishing to enroll on a first (undergraduate) or second (master's) cycle degree programme taught in Italian or English at the University of Siena will have different time frames according to the different courses. Students are invited to visit periodically this platform - http://enrolment.unisi.it/ - in order to see which applications are open and the relevant deadlines.
Universities and Higher Education Institutions are entitled to officially recognize international qualifications.
Please remember that this procedure does not transform a foreign secondary school diploma into an Italian qualification.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 18, 2018