Do you have a service-minded attitude, are you critical and curious? Are you looking for the best possible preparation for a successful career in the hospitality industry? If this describes you, you'll find that this Master's degree in International Hospitality and Service Management is perfect for you!
- Best Rated Master in Hospitality in the Netherlands according to the 2016 edition of the Dutch Master’s programme information guide Keuzegids Master’s
- Earn a dual degree and get a Dutch Master of Arts (MA) and British Master of Science (MSc) in 14 months.
- Option to acquire practical work experience on management level at the 4-star Stenden Hotel.
- Post-graduate internship opportunities in the United States, the Netherlands, Australia, South America and Spain.
- Our partner University of Derby, UK, is ranked nr. 1 in the Guardian University League 2015 in Hospitality, Tourism and Events education.
A Master’s degree in International Hospitality and Service Management prepares you for a successful career in the service or hospitality industry. This industry is growing at a tremendous pace with an expected increase of more than 30% of jobs worldwide by 2022. The hospitality industry is undergoing constant change, not least driven by shifting customer demands. These changes add to the complexity of the role of hospitality manager, and as a highly skilled graduate of this course you will be in high demand at a variety of companies all over the world.
As a hospitality and service management professional, you will have an interesting job in a dynamic and exciting industry. You will be trained for a strategic management position, managing all aspects of the services provided. You will help develop the organisational structure, strategies, processes and corporate culture from the customer’s perspective.
Careers open to you after graduation include:
- Sales and Marketing Manager
- General Manager
- Head of Research & Development
- Corporate Policy Advisor
- Event Manager
About the MA course
The Master of Arts (MA) programme in International Hospitality and Service Management introduces you to key concepts such as service, hospitality, service concepts and customer satisfaction, as well as covering areas as diverse as sustainability, globalisation and working with multicultural teams. You will be trained as a specialist in these areas over a 14-month period, taking four 10-week modules. You can extend your education with an international internship or acquire real-life work experience during your studies at the Stenden Hotel, a 4-star property owned and operated by the Stenden and used as a training venue for its students. You will attend classes based on a variety of teaching methods, including seminars, workshops, lectures, presentations, group assignments and guest lectureships.
About MSc course
Stenden offers the option to accomplish a Dual Degree. In addition to the MA programme you can enrol for a Master of Science International Hospitality and Service Management issued by the University of Derby. A great opportunity to expand your international network.
What to expect?
Lecturers from the University of Derby will regularly visit Stenden University of Applied Sciences (NL) to conduct lectures and seminars with Masters students in preparation for the field visit.
Two week study trip to the University of Derby (UK) - students will be able to visit the UK and participate in an intensive two week workshop schedule at the University of Derby. Lectures will be conducted using a variety of classrom based activities as well as venturing into the heart of the Peak District National Park to build operational skills such as communications and team work. Accommodation has been arranged for all students to stay within the University campus's Halls of Residence. Transportation and acommodation costs for this excursion are included in the tuition fee.
Masters students at Stenden University of Applied Science have access to resources at the University of Derby, including library services for academic studies, and the industrial placement office, which can help to advise and direct students to prospective future placements and employers around the world.
Both MA and the MSc incorporate exciting electives including Managing Events Organisations.
Principles of Hospitality
You will learn about the fundamentals of International Hospitality and Service Management and the theory behind concepts such as hospitality, quality of service, and customer satisfaction. You will acquire research skills and find a research topic for your thesis, which should concern a current management issue in the hospitality industry.
From theory to practice
This module teaches you how to apply your theoretical knowledge of services to your work as a manager. You will explore how you can improve service levels within an organisation and analyse business processes. You will also learn about the whys and wherefores of sustainable value creation and develop hospitality concepts. At the end of your course, you will write a research proposal. If you would like to acquire additional practical experience, you can spend this period as an intern at the School’s own Stenden Hotel. If you have opted for the Master of Science programme, this starts in this module.
You study strategic and customer-oriented personnel policy. You will also learn the specifics of the hospitality industry which has influence on the strategy for human resource management. Furthermore you will discover the financial side of your future management position and will collect data to conduct your research. If you choose to participate in an additional internship, you will spend this period working at the Stenden Hotel. The Master of Science programme will finish during this module.
You will discover the finer points of strategic and customer-oriented HR policy and learn how specific features of the hospitality industry affect an organisation’s human resource management strategy. You complete the course by writing a thesis based on your research.
You will be attending lectures and seminars and undertake research projects at the Academy of International Hospitality Research, the Stenden Hotel Management School’s own research centre. In order to share research data and knowledge within the education system and the professional field, this research centre employs both a large team of researchers and three lecturers. The main domains are:
- Hospitality Studies: UAS Professor Conrad Lashley
- Sustainability in Hospitality and Tourism: UAS Professor Elena Cavagnaro
- Innovation in Hospitality: UAS Professor Sjoerd Gehrels
- International post-graduate internship
If you would like to acquire additional experience and increase your chances of an international career, you can choose to do an additional internship in the United States, the Netherlands, Australia, South America or Spain. You can take part in this internship immediately after earning your Master’s degree.
Accreditations and quality labels
The Master’s programme in International Hospitality and Service Management has received the following accreditations and quality labels:
- Triple 'good' rating by the Accrediation Organisation of the Netherlands and Flanders (NVAO)
- International Centre of Excellence in Tourism & Hospitality (THE-ICE)
- Stenden Hotel Management School was awarded the ECA Certificate for Quality in Internationalisation as the first institution in the Netherlands and first hotel management school in Europe.
You require a Bachelor’s degree to be admitted to the International Hospitality and Service Management programme. If you do not hold a Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Business, Management, Hospitality, Tourism, Leisure Studies or a related course but would like to enrol in the Master’s programme in Service Management, please send an email to email@example.com. Your application will be assessed on individual merits. A personal interview is part of the application process.
English Language Requirements
All applicants for a Master programme at Stenden require to submit an English proficiency test with their application. Exceptions are made for students who have completed their Bachelor degree entirely in English language at an accredited institution.
Stenden University of Applied Sciences accepts three kinds of official language tests: IELTS, TOEFL and the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English.
- Academic IELTS 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.0 for each skill).
- TOEFL 550 (paper based), 213 (computer based) and 80 (internet based). Original test results must be sent directly from the Educational Testing Service to Stenden. The TOEFL institution code for Stenden is 9215.
- Cambridge ESOL score CAE-C.
- Single degree: Master of Arts (MA) in International Hospitality & Service Management
- Dual award: Master of Arts (MA) in International Hospitality&Service Management plus a Master of Science (MSc) International Hospitality & Service Management awarded by the University of Derby
This school offers programs in:
Last updated August 17, 2016