Become an agent of change: the 2nd edition of MA in International Security and Development (ISAD)
Jagiellonian University launches the second edition of the MA programme of studies on international security and development (ISAD). Three students enrolled in 2019/2020 will receive scholarships partly covering tuition fee cost. The first edition of the programme was awarded by the prestigious grant from the Polish National Center for Research and Development. In 2018 the programme proved so attractive, as evidenced by over 100 applications from more than 30 countries. Among them, 46 candidates have started their studies at the Jagiellonian University.
The international discussion on the most troubling global problems of the modern world, such as the war in Syria, difficult situation in Ukraine, the European migrant crisis as well as the threat of terrorist attacks, shows the huge demand for specialists and strategists in the field of security and development. It also indicates the need to raise public awareness of the correlation between aid transferred to developing countries and the sense of security among developed countries' societies.In order to respond to these two trends, Jagiellonian University launches the second edition of the MA programme of studies
- International Security and Development. ISAD aims at fostering creative thinking about complex problems of global security and development, as well as to equip students with analytical tools, language expertise, and cross-cultural understanding. It also helps gain the professional skills needed for managing global security and development in an international environment.
- Our goal is to educate specialists understanding the importance of problems of the modern world and seeking solutions for them. We want to educate strategists being able to implement actions that ensure appropriate targeting of aid projects, and thus greater stability in international relations – emphasises Marcin Grabowski, the director of ISAD studies.
The two-year Master's programme is run by both international experts and lectures from the Jagiellonian University. Academic courses are taught in English, and additionally, students will learn the second, chosen foreign language. There are two academic tracks (specialisations): international security as well as international development. The programme includes professional traineeships and workshops with experts.
During the whole two-year programme (2019-2021), six scholarships are available for the top students. There are three partial fee waiver scholarships at the first year of studies, and another three partial fee waiver scholarships at the second year.
The second ISAD class will be launched in the academic year 2019/2020, and the recruitment process started in January 2019. Find out more about programme structure and recruitment on our website: www.isad.uj.edu.pl. We also encourage you to familiarise with our online prospectus.
Graduate of ISAD is prepared to work in various types of institutions and organizations dealing with security and development; national as well as international, governmental and non-governmental. The graduate has not only substantial knowledge, but also range of soft skills, necessary to work in an international environment and at different levels of organization and institution management. Since we care about effective communication, our graduate is fluent in English and in the second language – language of his choice – communicates at B2 level.
Candidates are placed on the ranking list in order established on the basis of final result, expressed on a scale from 0 to 100, calculated as follows:
- assessment of the motivation letter written in English (preliminary thesis project will also be assessed as part of the motivation letter)—maximum of 50 points,
- points awarded for reference letters—maximum of 50 points.
The application fee is 22 USD (or 85 PLN, or 20 EUR). The fee is paid separately for each registration and each registration has its own bank account number assigned for the payment.
- tuition for the first year: 4 000 EUR (approx. 4 550 USD)
- tuition for the second year: 4 000 EUR (approx. 4 550 USD)
Phone: +48 519 068 330