Zirve University International Relations Department offers an M.A. degree for students who are interested in studying international relations at an advanced level. Our interdisciplinary program focus on the study of the changing relations among international actors, including their political, economic, and cultural interactions.
The Department’s emphasis on providing adequate skills for academic work and its concern with the development of in-depth knowledge of the issues in international relations are reflected at the program with a series of advanced courses. Courses are designed as seminars in which student participation is essential. Our academic staff includes experts internationally renowned in their field, and the Department has many associates and friends in organizations in Europe and beyond.
Students who choose the Department of International Relations will find themselves enjoying teaching in small classes with ample opportunity to interact with other students and with staff, and to develop a range of academic and personal skills. They can partake in the Department’s lively research agenda of seminars, colloquia and student-led presentations. The Department is committed to the internationalization of its postgraduate curriculum, and plans student exchange opportunities with our partner institutions globally.
Above all, the Department seeks to make postgraduate study in International Relations at Zirve University an intellectually stimulating and rewarding experience. Our aim is to share with you our enthusiasm and intellectual curiosity about the politics of the world in which we live.
The International Relations postgraduate program is designed to provide students advanced knowledge in international political, social, economic, cultural, and environmental issues. The program combines discipline related advanced knowledge with expertise in a particular regional or substantive area of international affairs. Through the program we aim to lay the foundation for our students to pursue a variety of careers including academic career, the diplomatic service and other sectors of public bureaucracy, the media, private sector, and professional organizations, and working for globally oriented international or non-governmental organizations. Within this context, our MA students graduate with an appreciation of interdisciplinary and ethical skills that are required for contemporary conditions of globalized world. A couple of years after graduation all our graduates take their place in different avenues of international affairs, and contribute in the national and international development in their own respective areas of expertise. The fallowing sets of skills and competences we aim to give our majors through their study are planned in accordance with the Level 7 of the NATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS FRAMEWORK FOR HIGHER EDUCATION IN TURKEY.
This course aims at guiding the Master's students in their thesis work. Each student is instructed to select a thesis topic, to do the relevant literature review, to determine the research design and to write a thesis proposal.
IR501-International Relations Theory
The main traditions and currents of thought in international political theory / Early thinking about international relations / Major twentieth century approaches: idealist-realist debate; the power politics approach and its fundamental concepts such as balance of power, national interest, nationalism and imperialism / Behaviorism; systems thinking; interdependence and structural theories / Decision-making and integration theories.
IR502-Special Topics in International Relations
Globalisation and the changing nature of international relations / New regionalism regionalization trends in international relations / International organizations and international relations / Power in international relations / Middle East / New threats to international security / War on terror / The expansion of European Union / The rise of new global and regional powers (China, India, Turkey etc)
Principles and foundations of empirical research / Qualitative research strategies (including interviewing, discourse analysis / Quantitative research strategies / research design / structure of research / data processing and analysis / Research Design project work.
IR504-Issues in Turkish Foreign Policy
Approaches to foreign policy analysis / Historical overview of Turkish foreign policy / Turkish foreign policy after the end of the Cold War / The prospect of EU membership and Turkey’s foreign policy / Turkey and its neighborhood (the cases of Central Asia, Middle East, Russia, Cyprus and Greece, Armenian issue) / September 11 and Turkish foreign policy discorse on terrorism / Turkey’s role in energy geopolitics
Required Documents for Registration
Candidates who have received acceptance from Zirve University need to provide the following required documents to Registrar’s Office for enrollment between predetermined dates on the Academic Calendar;
- Documentation of original Test Scores (SAT I, GCE, ACT, etc.),
- The original of the high school diploma and its Turkish translation (The diplomas should be officially translated by an accredited translator and attached to the original), High School Diploma Equivalency Certificate from the Turkish Ministry of Education (Talim Terbiye Kurulu Başkanlığı) or from a Turkish Consulate in the applicant’s home country,
- Photocopies of the applicant's passport with photograph affixed, identification information, and a copy of the page containing the student visa. The Student Visa is compulsory for all international students. It can be obtained from a Turkish Consulate in the applicant's home country by presenting the letter of acceptance,
- A photocopy of the first seven pages of the valid Residence Permit (obtained from the Bureau of Foreign Residence),
- 2 passport size (4.5 x 6 cm) photos (taken in the last 6 months, clearly identifying the person) and three more passport size photographs for the dormitory application,
- To complete registration students need to pay the tuition for the semester,
- The original score of the language proficiency exam (if you submitted the copy during the application.),
- Financial assurance for education in Zirve University.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated October 23, 2017