The Master's programme International Public Management and Policy focus on the increasingly international nature of public management and public policymaking.
Many collective problems of our times, such as climate change, terrorism, corruption, poverty and inequality, have an international character. In order to deal effectively with these and similar problems, nation-states need to increase their own capacities through regulatory and administrative reform. In addition, they need to learn from each other and collaborate in international organisations such as the United Nations and the European Union.
How can global problems like poverty and climate change be tackled?
The Master’s programme International Public Management and Policy (IMP) is a one-year graduate programme that stimulates students to become aware of the increasingly multinational and international nature of public management and public policy-making. It provides them with scientific theories, concepts, and tools needed to analyse this international and multi-level environment. Furthermore, it equips them with knowledge and experiences relevant to public careers with an international dimension.
Mode of education
Each core course is composed of a series of lectures, sometimes accompanied by smaller working groups. The lectures present the main theoretical and empirical insights into the topic of the course. There is a wide variety of assessment methods, including exams but also papers, (poster) presentations and other (group) assignments. The aim of the practical assignments is to teach you how to analyse and apply theoretical insights.
The curriculum of the Master’s programme in International Public Management and Policy consists of various components that equip you with the concepts, tools and theories that are needed to analyse complex, multi-level international issues. The skills you learn will contribute to finding solutions for transnational challenges.
The programme is composed of 4 blocks and offers a varied set of modules, seminars, simulations, working group sessions as well as guest lectures. It includes an extensive professional development component. You will visit international and European institutions in Geneva and Brussels to familiarise yourself with their work. You will also receive training in basic negotiation skills during our negotiation simulation, given by internationally renowned specialists. In addition, we organise meetings with a coach to help you prepare for a job search. You will train to use various skills, for instance, how to pitch yourself during networking, how to write a CV and how to improve your LinkedIn presence.
Please bear in mind that the following curriculum reflects the current academic year. Adjustments to the curriculum and descriptions of courses may be added in the course of the year; a definitive curriculum will be presented here from June for the following academic year.
- Global Governance
- Comparative Public Policy
- European Union Policy-Making
- International Organisations and Development
- Europe in the World
- International Public Management
- Professional Development/Atelier Master International Public Management and Policy Part 1 (block 2+3)
- Professional Development/Atelier Master International Public Management and Policy Part II
- Master thesis (start)
- Master thesis
Why study Master International Public Management and Policy
Public policy has an international orientation that is underlined by the central role of organisations such as the EU and the UN. This Master’s programme endows you with theories, concepts and skills that you need to work effectively in an international environment. The knowledge we provide will enable you to contribute to finding solutions for global issues such as international conflict, poverty, migration, environmental protection and corruption. The programme forms a clear pathway to developing a career in public or private sector organisations. Erasmus University Rotterdam is an international top university in a vibrant city that is the gateway to Europe. Our faculty consists of top-notch scholars in the academic fields of public administration, political science, international relations, development studies, and European integration, who also regularly participate in policy debates.
"If you are attracted to studying global issues from an interdisciplinary and multilevel governance perspective, I am sure you will not be disappointed!"
Prof. Dr Geske Dijkstra
Why study the Master’s programme International Public Management and Policy in Rotterdam?
The programme features:
- A multi-level focus, dealing with public management and public policy on the national, EU and international levels.
- A closely supervised individual research project.
- A study trip to international organisations and European institutions.
- Emphasis on professional development.
- The opportunity to interact with an international student group and academics with strong international reputations.
- An interdisciplinary nature, including knowledge from public administration, political science, international relations and political economy.
- The Department of Public Administration and Sociology has been number 1 in the Shanghai RankingOpens external in the field of public administration for a few years in a row.
Erasmus University Rotterdam
Welcome to the highly-ranked Erasmus University Rotterdam (EUR), a research university located in the city of Rotterdam, the Netherlands.
Erasmus University was founded in 1913. Over the years, it has become known for its distinct social orientation in education and research. Our 26,000+ students come from more than 100 countries around the world.
Erasmus University Rotterdam. Make it happen.
Career opportunities for Master International Public Management and Policy
After completing this Master’s programme you will be able to:
- Understand the increasingly international nature of public management and policy.
- Understand international developments from a multidisciplinary perspective.
- Analyse the international policy environment by applying up to date theories and concepts.
- Gain tools to operate effectively in an international working environment.
The Master’s programme is an academic (scientific) programme which is highly relevant for those who seek employment in an increasingly wide range of jobs that are associated with the internationalisation of public management and policy. This includes jobs at both the international and the national level, such as:
- International organisations
- The EU
- Government ministries and agencies
- Local authorities
- International NGOs
- Multinational companies
- Consultancy firms
- Think tanks
- Research Institutes
International organisations offer many job opportunities for graduates of the Master's programme International Public Management and Policy.
Graduates obtain a variety of jobs. They become policy officials, policy advisors, consultants, managers in international organisations, lobbyists or project leaders.
Students who complete the Master’s programme International Public Management and Public Policy (IMP) are invited to join the IMP Alumni Association (IMPAA) and the IMP LinkedIn group.
What our graduates say
"It has been a great opportunity to study in an inspiring and demanding international environment."
Works at the European Commission
"The Master’s programme helped me to understand public-private partnerships. The programme enabled me to develop my analytical skills. Thanks to these studies I was able to kick-start my professional career."
Works at Stichting Verre Bergen
"The IMP programme has been a great jump-start for my career in Brussels. I have gained a solid understanding of international organisations and I have learned to work and communicate effectively with colleagues from all over the world."
Works at IBEC Europe
- Official CROHO name: International Public Management and Public Policy
- Programme name: International Public Management and Policy Instruction
- language: English
- Type: Master
- Duration: 1 year
- Location: Campus Woudestein, Rotterdam
Tuition fees (2019-2020):
- €2.083 (Statutory fee)
- €11.900 (Institutional fee: EEA/EU students)
- €14.900 (Institutional fee: NON-EEA/EU students)
About the School
ESSB is home to a vast diversity of study programmes and scientific disciplines: Public Administration, Pedagogical Sciences, Psychology and Sociology. In addition, the Erasmus University College, IHS ... Read More