INTERNATIONAL MANAGEMENT (CEMS MIM) - MASTER OF SCIENCE
The CEMS Master's in International Management (CEMS MIM) is a master’s programme in the field of business and management, which is delivered by 30 leading universities from around the world in cooperation with more than 70 multinational corporations and four social partners. In Cologne, the CEMS MIM is offered as part of the 2-year MSc in International Management.
An international focus and strong links with industry and business set the programme apart from others. Alongside internationally aligned courses, Skill Seminars and Business Projects, it includes an internship abroad and a term at a CEMS partner institution in another country. In addition to being the most international management programme on the market, it is the starting point for lifelong professional and personal networks.
The quality of CEMS MIM is underscored by its excellent results in the Financial Times Master’s in Management Ranking, which rates the professional success of graduates. The MIM programme has continually held one of the Top 10 places since the ranking was introduced in 2005.
The programme's core features
- International course experience
- Intercultural study groups
- Term abroad at one of the top business schools of the CEMS Global Alliance in Management Education
- Consultancy project carried out in collaboration with multinational companies
- Soft skills seminars geared towards developing leadership skills
- Numerous opportunities to meet and network with representatives of globally active companies
- 10-week internship abroad
CEMS (MIM) Curriculum
Within the core and advanced category in International Management, the CEMS MIM students from the University of Cologne study mandatory courses in International Management such as International Finance and Business Strategy.
They also choose one of the following six specialisations in Business or Economics: Accounting and Taxation, Corporate Development, Finance, Marketing, Supply Chain Management and Economics.
The programme’s focus on Applied International Management culminates in a mandatory Business Project and a Case Study Course.
The CEMS year, including the CEMS core elements, takes place during the second year of the Cologne master degree and is equivalent to an academic year (CEMS term 1 during the fall and CEMS term 2 during spring term). One of these terms is completed at the home school, the other term at a CEMS school abroad.
The master’s thesis is written towards the end of the programme. It is intended to show that the student is capable of conducting academic work on and reflecting on a specific problem related to the subject matter covered on the programme, using the necessary methods and within a specified period.
Take the chance
Learn to apply the latest research and appropriate solutions at your home and partner university to questions with practical, real-world relevance! Develop an understanding of the role of leadership in different intercultural environments and effective approaches to strengthen ethical behaviour in business.
Reflect your own conceptions of leadership and relate them to current positions and arguments discussed in academic literature and case studies.
Discuss current topics with CEMS members all over the world, which are relevant for international companies (strategy, organisation, personnel, business ethics, etc.); learn econometric methods and analyse the economic situation of globally operating companies.
The University of Cologne does not charge any tuition fee for the CEMS MIM. Students selected for the programme must pay a student registration and handling fee of €100 to CEMS. This fee is due in January and payable directly to CEMS. Students will receive further instructions about the payment method once accepted on the programme.
All students accepted on the CEMS MIM at the University of Cologne must pay a social contribution fee of the University of Cologne of approximately 260 EUR each term. This social contribution includes a semester ticket covering public transport in the Federal State of North Rhine-Westphalia.
The admission requirements must be fulfilled until the application deadline:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent degree in Business Administration or Economics with strong proficiency in Business Administration, Economics and quantitative methods
- Application in the case of unfinished Bachelor studies: In cases where present Bachelor studies have not been fully completed, the application is permitted if the candidate has earned at least 70% of the required degree credits and will have achieved the remaining results by 30 September at the latest.
Overall grade of at least 2.5 (German grade) in the Bachelor’s degree
Fulfilment of the following subject-related requirements:
1. subject-related requirements
- at least 48 ECTS need to be specific to the field of Business Administration/Management Studies
- at least 16 ECTS need to be specific to the field of Economics
- at least 10 ECTS credits in Statistics/Mathematics
2. Language requirements
- English at level C1 (CEF)
- 2nd CEMS language (level B2): can be the mother tongue or any other additional language
- Academic achievements (Bachelor grade) [68-34 score points]
- GMAT Test score (GRE or English TM-WiSo also accepted), highly recommended [17-0 score points]
- interview (includes education, motivation, analytical and communication skills, personal incidence and integrity, international experience) [15-0 score points]
Applicants who are shortlisted after the assessment of the written application will be invited for a selection interview to Cologne.
Application deadline and process
All documents must be provided in either German or English and submitted on the application portal until March 31st. An authorised translation into either German or English must be attached to any documents in other languages. We may need to ask for further documentation at a later stage of the application.
Applicants with a (bachelor) degree acquired abroad must also apply via uni-assist until March 31st.
Detailed information about the admission procedure and admission deadlines are provided on the application website.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 29, 2018