Master in International Business
St. Petersburg University Graduate School of Management's Master in International Business Program (MIB) is designed to provide the best career opportunities to the program graduates in international business in Russia and abroad. The program is uniquely designed and follows the most demanding standards in the international business education. The curriculum consists of core (compulsory) courses from all major areas of business and electives. Every student chooses elective courses according to his(her) professional and career goals and interests. The program gives future professionals in business and management the most contemporary knowledge, analytical and practical skills crucial to succeed.
MIB program fully meets The Community of European Management Schools (CEMS) requirements as well as the regulations of the State Education Standard of the Russian Federation. It renders the MIB students the benefits of both educational systems.
MIB provides rare opportunities unavailable anywhere else in Russia. Russian and international students from the leading world business schools work together on various projects, case studies and enrich their experience through academic and extra-curricular life. Teaching in English allows
- to bring in excellent professors from EU and US business schools into the program,
- to have regular guest lectures and discussions with the world gurus of business and management,
- to explore world resources of knowledge and international databases at the GSOM library,
- to learn how to operate in a genuine international environment while being a part of a Consulting Project at an international company or
- working on projects as a Summer intern.
MIB also means that every student goes for 1 Study Abroad semester at a leading business school in EU, USA or Mexico to take several elective courses which become a part of this student's Study Plan towards the graduation.
MIB is an integral part of a broad range of top-quality undergraduate, graduate, MBA and doctoral programs offered by the St. Petersburg State University Graduate School of Management. It means an excellent opportunity to network and to enjoy a fast developing and already successful Alumni Association of GSOM.
All studies take place in the very heart of St. Petersburg. GSOM's campus is 2 minutes walk from the campus of St.Petersburg State University, so not just the beauty of the city but also all resources and events of Russia's oldest and one of the most prestigious universities are next door.
The two-year program consists of four semesters of studies including one semester spent abroad at a partner university. The Program curriculum includes coursework, master thesis, and advanced study work. The instruction language through the entire program is English.
The coursework for the Master degree in International Business (MIB) is organized around three blocks: business and research foundation (Core) courses (30 ECTS), advanced international business courses (Core & Electives) (50 ECTS), and Electives (20 ECTS). All Program courses stem from the principles of university business education and contemporary international business practice. Teaching methods include interaction with students. The GSOM corporate partners are engaged in the teaching process as Guest Speakers, as a source of real-life business cases, and through sharing their experience through the visits to their companies.
Each student works on the Master Thesis being supervised by a faculty research advisor. The advisor is chosen based on the student’s area of research. Students start to work on their Master Thesis in the first semester and continue until the Final Presentation of the Theses (“Public Thesis Defense”) at the end of the Program. Every semester students submit reports on their research progress. The Master Thesis is expected to include results of an empirical study conducted by the student.
Advanced Study Requirements
1. Summer internship. The Summer break between the first and the second years of the Program is meant for students’ internships - professional corporate work, usually at one of the GSOM corporate partners. This component of the Program is vital to apply the theoretical knowledge and practical business skills to the practical business experience. Internships last for at least 6 weeks and must be taken at internationally operating companies.
2. Study abroad. All MIB students must spend a semester abroad at one of the partner universities. GSOM has exchange agreements with the best European business schools and universities. Agreements with the majority of the universities allow MIB students to take a semester without paying the local tuition & fees. Results of the coursework accomplished abroad are acknowledged due to the transfer principles of ECTS.
3. Business Project Course. Business projects are designed to develop students’ project management, teamwork and leadership skills. Each student works as a part of a small international team on consulting assignment by a real corporate client. The projects are jointly supervised and evaluated by a company representative and by the Project Course professor. The Project results with analysis of the business situation and proposed solutions are presented to the client company and to the fellow classmates at the end of the semester.
4. Academic research and communication skills workshops. MIB program focuses on giving give future international managers the skills they need to succeed in the global markets. The skills workshops teach how to communicate ideas in the academic and business world, how to launch a successful professional career, and to adjust easily to a cross-cultural management environment. The skills include academic writing and doing research work, communication and social skills, teamwork and presentation skills among others. International and corporate partners are actively involved in the skills training seminars.
5. Foreign language proficiency. GSOM MIB graduates are expected to be fluent in at least two foreign languages to ensure that they will be able to live and work effectively in a diverse cultural environment. Therefore, obtaining proficiency in a foreign language other than English is required from all Program participants as a part of their Curriculum. All students are supposed to take 3 semesters of one foreign language – French, German or Spanish.
The Master programs are designed for students coming from all over the world. International students may apply to the programs using the following opportunities:
- in the framework of the interstate agreements between Russian Federation and applicant's country of residence (on the basis of the assignment from RF Ministry of Education and Science).
- on the basis of the cooperation agreement between GSOM and applicant's University (as an exchange student). In that case, please, apply to the International Department of your university or contact GSOM International office.
- on the basis of individual contracts with tuition fee.
Admission to GSOM Master programs is carried out on the competitive basis to ensure selection of the very best candidates. As programs are intended to provide a rigorous learning environment to the students, the following criteria are used to determine the likelihood that applicants will succeed in the programs:
- Previous Education. Admission requires completion of an undergraduate degree in any major. Graduates with backgrounds in non-business disciplines are encouraged to participate in the competition.
- Business Aptitude Testing. GMAT with minimum score 524.
- Language Skills. Applicants need to be fluent in English - TOEFL score of at least 55 7(paper -based), 220 (computer-based), 8 3(Internet-based) is required to join the program. Testing can be administered at the GSOM Language Center at Volkhovsky 3 in St. Petersburg.
- Leadership, effective communication skills, entrepreneurship, and innovation drive as well the motivation level to pursue the MIB and to achieve successful careers in international business evaluated in the personal interview. The Selection Committee includes representatives of the GSOM Corporate partners. The interview is in English.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 31, 2018