The MFA program focuses on advanced techniques and theory of interior architecture and design. The curriculum—designed and taught by industry professionals—focuses on research, concept and design development, traditional and digital media, innovative ideas, and global issues.
MFA Interior Architecture & Design Unit Requirements
- Major 27 units
- Directed Study 18 units
- Graduate Liberal Arts 12 units
- Electives* 6 units
TOTAL 63 units
*Per director approval
MFA Interior Architecture & Design Degree Requirements
- Successful completion of Final Thesis Project
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
- Minimum grade of C in all required 63 units
- A minimum of thirty semester credits of college-level liberal arts and sciences (general education) must be completed
(NOTE: this will include credits earned from the student’s bachelor degree)
MFA Program Learning outcomes
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
Present an idea/project worthy of the MFA degree Produce an innovative project that contributes to the design community, demonstrating advanced interior architecture and design skills
Interior Design Skills
- Meet industry standards in response to professional ethics, global issues and technological advances
- Demonstrate creative approaches to layout, spatial organization, use of material, lighting, and relationship of interior design and furnishings to the architecture of the building
- Demonstrate an understanding of building codes, safety, health and welfare, ADA and Universal Design principles by correctly applying professional standards to space planning and layouts
- Demonstrate an understanding of the concepts, principles and theories of sustainability as they pertain to building methods, materials, systems and occupants by incorporating sustainable solutions into interior designs
- Create construction drawings and documents
- Demonstrate an understanding color principles, theories, and systems in interior design
Research and Problem Solving
- Conduct research and synthesize findings to generate multiple concepts and design responses to programmatic requirements.
- Interact with multiple disciplines representing different points of view and perspectives.
- Demonstrate an understanding of movements and traditions in interior design, architecture and furniture by applying precedents to inform design solutions.
Integrate oral and visual material to present ideas clearly.
Technical Design Skills
- Effectively apply principles of two and three dimensional design through both traditional and digital media.
- Effectively apply color in all aspects of visual communication
- Produce a professional portfolio that meets industry standards
- Create a business plan demonstrating familiarity with business and professional practices
Visit www.academyart.edu to learn more about total costs, median student loan debt, potential occupations and other information. Accredited Member WSCUC, NASAD, CIDA (BFA-IAD, MFA-IAD), NAAB (B.ARCH*, M.ARCH), CTC (California Teacher Credential). Acting degree program is currently not offering online courses. **B.ARCH is currently in candidacy status.
All international students will require a VISA to enter the US and an OPT application to extend their stay after graduation. Selecting a STEM approved program allows for the benefit of being able to apply for an extended 24-month Optional Practical Training (OPT) stay to work in the country after graduation.
The following Academy majors qualify for the 24-month STEM Extension: Advanced Architectural Design; Advertising; Advertising & Branded Media Technology; Animation & Visual Effects; Architecture; Architectural Design; Art Education; Communications & Media Technologies; Game Development; Game Programming; Graphic Design; Graphic Design & Digital Media; Industrial Design; Interior Architecture & Design; New Media & Web Design. For more information on approved STEM programs, how to apply, and more common questions about studying as an international student at the Academy of Art University, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page here.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 21, 2017