Master Course on Integrated Microfinance Management (IMM)
A new Master Course on ‘Integrated Microfinance Management’ (IMM) has officially been opened on the 19th of September 2011 and started on the 2nd of January 2012 at the Magister Management Graduate Program of the Faculty of Economics and Business of Universitas Padjadjaran (MM FEB UNPAD) in Bandung, which has been developed by the The Leiden Ethnosystems and Development Program (LEAD) of Leiden University in The Netherlands in collaboration with UNPAD and the other Members of the International Consortium for Integrated Microfinance Management (ICIMM), including Gerakan Masyarakat Pengembangan Keuangan Mikro (GEMA PKM) in Indonesia and the Mediterranean Agronomic Institute of Chania (MAICH) in Greece. The development of this new Master Course has been financially supported by the Netherlands Ministry of Economic Affairs. LEAD is an interdisciplinary program based in the Faculty of Science of Leiden University and a Member of the Microcredit Summit Council of Educational Institutions. The new Master Course has attracted the interest of not only Government Agencies (GAs), Non-Government Organizations (NGOs), Financial Institutions (FIs), Microfinance Institutions (MFIs), Banking and Non-Banking Institutions (B&NBIs) and Integrated Microfinance Institutions (IMFIs) in newly-developing countries, but also of the United Nations Capital Development Fund (UNCDF), a UN organization specializing in microfinance and local development around the globe.
About The Program
This International Master Course is an international class, and is leading up to a Master’s Degree from Universitas Padjadjaran together with the IMM International Certificate from Leiden University on the basis of completion of the regular International Workshops and Seminars in the course, given at the Faculty of Economics and Business of Universitas Padjadjaran in Bandung by visiting Professors/Experts from Leiden University on relevant subjects of Integrated Microfinance Management.
This Master Degree responds to the growing need of Indonesia’s society of a new cadre of specialized managers who will implement the bottom-up strategy of advanced community-based management of integrated financial, health, education, social and communication services to contribute to the alleviation of poverty and the promotion of empowerment in order to achieve the improvement of the health and well-being of the entire population of Indonesia.
The advanced learning methods applied in this program include 6 teaching modules, a 3-months supervised fieldwork/vocational training and 3-months for writing-up the Master Thesis, enriched with workshops, formal presentations, discussion groups and fieldtrips. The IMM Program at MM FEB UNPAD is internationally recognized as the first master program in this newly-developing field in the world, so that graduates of this program are expected to become pioneers in the development of Integrated Microfinance Management in Indonesia and beyond.
The objective of the new Master Course on Integrated Microfinance Management is to provide a new cadre of managers who are proficient and competent in developing and managing IMM Institutions.
After students have graduated from this programme, they will be able to:
- lead Government Agencies (GAs), Non-Government Organizations (NGOs), Microfinance Institutions (MFIs), Integrated Microfinance Institutions (IMFIs), Banking and Non-Banking Institutions (B&NBIs) and Local Institutions and Organizations to provide various community-based services to the entire population;
- manage integrated financial, health, education, social and communication services to the community, in particular to the marginalized and low-income families throughout the country;
- contribute to the realization of the United Nations Millennium Development Goals (MDGs 2005), particularly the eradication of extreme poverty and hunger and the promotion of empowerment in Indonesia.
- The teaching methods of the Integrated Microfinance Management Master Programme are based on national and international accepted standards of quality for university and professional education and training. These innovative methods are based on advanced independent, self-directed and performance-oriented activities of students pertaining to on-the-job vocational and fieldwork training of 3 months.
IMM Programme Course
Candidates from among different disciplines who are accepted as students for the IMM Master Course should attend the short introductory Pre-IMM Course.
The introductory Pre-IMM Course includes the Pre-MM Course, followed by the Basic Subjects Course, the Philosophy of Science Course, the Strategic Management Course and Entrepreneurship Management Course, and is designed in order to strengthen the basic management and business knowledge of students. After completion of the Pre-IMM Course, the actual 3-semester of the IMM Course is offered.
The set-up of the short introductory Pre-IMM Course and its components, followed by the actual IMM Course with an indication of the related credit points is as follows:
- Pre-MM Short Course
- Introduction to Business
- Introduction to Management and Organization
- Statistics & Econometrics
- Economics for Business
- Theory and Practice of Financial Management
- Theory and Practice of Marketing Management
- Social and Economic Anthropology
- Research Methodology
The teaching methods of the Integrated Microfinance Management Master Programme are based on national and international accepted standards of qualityfor university and professional education and training. These innovative methods are based on advanced independent, self-directed and performance-oriented activities of students pertaining to on-the-job vocational and fieldwork training of 3 months.
Degree and Academic Status
After successful completion of all Modules, Fieldwork/ Vocational Training, and writing up of the Master Thesis, the MM (in Integrated Microfinance Management) Degree and IMM certificate will be awarded.
More Information / Online Course
HOW TO APPLY
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 28, 2017