This master program is fully lectured in English and seeks to provide technological training for professional purposes in the several fields covered by Informatics, including: planning, operation and maintenance of information systems and technologies; audit, control, and management of information technology projects; drawing up contingency plans and security in information systems; development of processes of innovation, quality and entrepreneurship in information systems; database management and administration of web technologies and services; development of multimedia applications.
Profile of the program
The profile of the program comprises the development of the technical-scientific knowledge and professional specialized skills in the study areas of Informatics: Information Systems; Computing Sciences; Computer Engineering.
Key learning outcomes
The degree of "mestre" (master) in Information Systems is awarded to those students that demonstrate, in this field, the ability to:
- develop and enhance the knowledge obtained in the first cycle, in order to develop and apply that knowledge to original situations often in the context of research;
- apply their knowledge and understanding and problem-solving capacities to new and unfamiliar situations in wide multidisciplinary situations, although related to their area of studies;
- integrate knowledge, deal with complex matters, develop solutions or put forward opinions on situations of limited or incomplete information, including reflecting upon the implications and ethical and social responsibilities that result from both those solutions and opinions or indeed that condition them;
- communicate their conclusions and the knowledge and reasoning that underly them, both to experts and non-experts, clearly and unambiguously;
- develop competencies that will enable them to benefit from self-oriented or autonomous lifelong learning.
To complete the qualification, the student is required to pass all compulsory course units of the study plan.
Occupational profiles of graduates
The degree of "mestre" (master) in Information Systems belongs to the education and training area of Technologies. Graduates are specialized to develop a professional activity within the profile of the program. Access to further studies
The degree of "mestre" allows students to proceed to 3rd cycle studies (Ph.D.), according to the Portuguese Higher Education System.
Examination regulations, assessment, and grading
Examination and assessment are regulated by the IPB regulations.
Qualification awarded (in original language)
"Mestrado em Sistemas de Informação". Title of "Mestre".
Level of qualification
2nd Cycle of Studies. EQF level 7. ISCED level 5.
Recognition of prior learning
Following the implementation of the Bologna Process and the consequent legislation regarding the mobility of students among degrees and higher education institutions, prior learning must be recognized and credited. The prior learning concept comprises all the previous learning/training undertaken in other higher education study cycles in national or international institutions (crediting of certified training), as well as previous professional experience and any post-secondary school training or education. As such, the IPB promotes the crediting of the student’s prior learning when arriving at the institution. Aiming at a quick and full integration of the student in his/her new education program, the recognition procedures must be submitted when enrolling at the IPB.
Qualification requirements and regulations
4 Semesters (2 years). 20 Weeks of study, per semester, full-time (40 per year). 40 total Hours per week. 810 total Hours per semester (1620 per year). 120 ECTS Credits (30 per semester); 1 credit corresponds to 27 hours. It includes a scientific dissertation, a project work or a professional traineeship which will be concluded with a final report comprising 42 credits. The holders of this qualification are entitled to apply for positions in the public administration and local government senior official career and for senior positions in enterprises.
The holders of a “licenciado” degree or legal equivalent, the holders of a foreign bachelor academic degree, and the holders of a relevant academic, scientific or professional curriculum vitae, may apply to the 2nd cycle of studies, as stated in the description of the Portuguese Higher Education System.
No work experience is required.
Jose Eduardo Moreira Fernandes(email@example.com).
This school offers programs in: