The "Industrial biotechnology" Master's program is focused on the market needs in the field of creating technologies for obtaining new products for all manufacturing and processing industries of agriculture, biotechnology, and pharmaceutics, including products obtained using microbiological synthesis, biocatalysis, genetic engineering, and nanobiotechnology.
The program is designed for students who have already received a Bachelor's degree in Biotechnology, Biology or Chemistry.
The medium of instruction for this program is currently Russian; English will be provided beginning from 2021.
Currently, due to the ever-growing manufacturing of biotechnological products with a wide range of properties, it is necessary to develop a strong and reliable theoretical basis supported with practical experiment data in order to achieve greater success in this area.
Graduates of 19.04.01 Biotechnology Master program with a specialization in industrial biotechnology may be engaged in the following professional spheres:
- Research, preparation and application of enzymes, viruses, microorganisms, animal and plant cell cultures, products of their biosynthesis and biotransformation;
- Development of technologies for the manufacturing of new products, including products obtained using microbiological synthesis, biocatalysis, genetic engineering and nanobiotechnology;
- Development of scientific and technical documentation and technological regulations for the manufacturing of biotechnological products;
- Implementation of biotechnological processes and production in accordance with national and international laws and regulations;
- Organization and exercise of raw materials, intermediate products and finished products quality control.
Skills and competences
In the field of research
- Selection, processing, and analysis of scientific, technical and patent information on the subject of research using specialized databases;
- Analysis of technological process indicators for compliance with scientific developments;
- Development of research programs, evaluation, and analysis of the results;
- Search for and development of new effective ways to obtain biotechnological products, creating modern biotechnologies, including nanobiotechnologies, technologies of recombinant deoxyribonucleic acids, cell technologies;
- Isolation, identification, and analysis of biosynthesis and biotransformation products obtaining new biological drug producer strains;
- Creation of compositional forms and optimal ways to apply biological products;
- Validation of technological processes and analytical techniques;
- Studying biochemical and biological regularities of biosynthesis, micro- and macro-stoichiometry, micro- and macro-kinetics of microorganism and cell culture population growth, the interaction of microorganisms, viruses, cells, metabolic pathways and characteristics of substrate utilization and metabolic products synthesis;
- Developing theoretical models to predict the nature of changes in raw material properties in the process of biotransformation and to produce products with specified characteristics;
- Experimental study of biological, physical and chemical kinetics at all stages of the process and their mathematical description;
- Preparation of scientific and technical reporting documentation, analytical reviews and references, documentation for participation in research competitions, projects of Pharmacopoeia articles (state standards), the publication of scientific results, intellectual property protection.
In production and technology
- The organization, planning, and management of existing biotechnological processes and production;
- Ensuring the stability of manufacturing and product quality factors in accordance with internal acts (technological regulations, job descriptions, analysis methods);
- Ensuring effective operation of monitoring facilities, automation and automated control of biotechnological production;
- Organization and implementation of measures for energy and resource saving and ensuring the environmental safety of biotechnological processes;
- Exercise of chemical, technical, biochemical and microbiological control;
- Developing measures to improve the economic and production process indicators, ensuring the economic efficiency of manufacturing and achieving desired product quality;
- Organization of metrological production support;
- Organization of internal and external audit system;
- Coordination of the research results implementation in the manufacturing process;
- Operation of experimental and industrial plants;
- Ensuring the operation of analytical control and production control facilities in accordance with the technical data sheets and equipment manuals.
After passing the entrance examinations, the students determine the main field of study to focus their research on. Each student will have a supervisor who will guide them through the educational and practical stages of the program, as well as help them in writing their theses.
Theoretical and practical classes are held during 1st – 3d semesters. Students will perform research and experimental work in the laboratories of the Department of Biotechnology and Microbiology at the Institute of pharmacy, chemistry, and biology of NRU "BelSU".
Most of the research is carried out during the 3rd and 4th semesters of the program. Upon completion of their research activities, students prepare their Master theses.
Upon completion of the program, students receive a Master's degree.
The deadline to submit the application is August 8, 2020, however, international students are strongly encouraged to apply by July 18, 2020.
About the School
The mission of Belgorod State University (BelSU) is to solve research problems of international and national significance, to harmoniously integrate the educational, research, social and cultural func ... Read More