This course aims to train experts that know how to combine the professional and cultural aspects of Hydrography and Oceanography with the most innovative marine environment survey techniques.
It is the only Italian Master’s degree course that prepares experts in hydrography and oceanography in an international environment and conforms with the recognized standards of the International Board of Standards of Competence, FIG/IHO/ICA Hydrographic Surveyor Category A Course.
Learning by doing
- Analysis, control, and management of the natural and man-made environment.
- Direct and remote survey of the environment; management of data networks (Geomatics).
- Measures of the physical size of oceanic water masses, weather-oceanographic numerical models.
- Thematic and nautical cartographic production.
- Research and education institutes; Regions; Municipalities, Port authorities; Technological parks, Marine hydrographic institute; Hydrological services.
- Maritime engineering businesses, resources, exploration, cable-laying, and pipelines, dredging, cartography, environmental monitoring.
At the end of the course, an international certificate of completion of the procedures laid down by the Category A Hydrographic Surveyor Course shall be issued. Further career developments are possible in the profession of hydrographer both internationally and internationally.
Did you know that...
This course combines the cultural and professional aspects of Hydrography and Oceanography with the most innovative marine environment survey techniques.
It is the only Italian Master's course that prepares environmental hydrographic specialists according to the standards of the International Hydrographic Organization (IHO).
Holders of this Master's degree can compete to attain the Class A 'Hydrographic Surveyor' license.
The sea, a new perspective
The Course aims to train Environmental Science (LM75) specialists with specific skills in the maritime environment. These skills are especially addressed to the physical environment with particular reference to:
- hydrography for deep sea, coastal and port area management;
- thematic and nautical cartography;
- oceanographic measuring and modeling physical processes.
In the perspective of a more efficient bridge with labor market demands and the different public and private territorial realities.
The Master’s degree holder will acquire Hydrography and Oceanography competencies also through:
- the use of innovative techniques for direct and remote measurement;
- embarking experience on oceanographic nautical vessels laid down by the teaching organization;
- work experience in institutions and companies.
Through Geomatic tools, the degree holder will be able to manage networks of complex data which are fundamental tools for planning and management of the maritime territory, coasts, and inland waters.
The 3 phases
- Theoretical-practical lessons in which students acquire basic knowledge with particular reference to the coastal maritime and deep-sea environments.
- In-depth study of Operational Oceanography, GIS and electronic cartography, remote sensing, hydrography for coastal and coastal engineering works management.
- Field and onboard work on naval crafts to acquire survey and sampling techniques as well as techniques to efficiently handle data/samples.
- Degree type: Master course
- Duration and credits: 2 Years / 120 CFU
- Class: LM-75 Environmental and land sciences
- Admission: Free access
- Location: Genova
- Teaching language: English
- Teaching mode: Lectures
- Taxes and fees: From 0 to 3000 euros per year. Find out if you are entitled to scholarships and exemptions
- International partnerships: Student exchange
- Head of the program: Laura Canesi
Learn more here