The University Master Degree in Hotel Management adapted to the European Higher Education Area, is a full-time program (90 ECTS credits) aimed at recent graduates interested in hotel management. It places special emphasis on finance and leadership in the international hospitality industry.
The program aims to train operative leaders. It is focused on action and is participatory and results-oriented. Its objective is to train professionals specialized in the general and operations management of hotel businesses. Upon completion, the graduate will have the solid knowledge of management they need to be able to lead all types of hotel projects on an international level and will have acquired the skills needed for high-responsibility positions in the hotel industry. All this is within a framework of sustainability, social responsibility, and ethics.
Why should I study this master degree?
Leading International Hotel Businesses
The University Master Degree in Hotel Management gives you the opportunity to consolidate the management skills needed to lead international hotel projects or to occupy positions of responsibility in the hospitality industry. The program offers you the key skills needed to start a successful career:
- Ethical awareness
- Customer orientation
- Problem resolution
- Confidence in making business decisions
- Hotel industry know-how
Top 5 Reasons
The University Master Degree in Hotel Management offers you a unique experience in Barcelona that will make you one of the future leaders of the international hotel industry:
- Obtain a university master's degree in a dynamic and active environment.
- Acquire professional skills.
- Take advantage of networking opportunities with the most prestigious companies in the sector.
- Develop your leadership skills in the hotel industry.
- Expand your passion for the international hotel industry.
Problem Based Learning
The University Master Degree in Hotel Management offers you an innovative methodology based on Problem-Based Learning. Using this methodology, the student is made aware of the real needs and problems of a hotel business. Using students’ previous knowledge and the content acquired in the classroom during the master's program, this methodology allows participants to discover, create, experiment, compare, integrate and understand content and situations in order to propose alternatives and innovative solutions. The student is the protagonist of their own learning, is autonomous and critical, and is able to make their own decisions. Each of the subjects offered through the program is directly related to a leading company in the hotel sector (Majestic Hotel & Spa, Hilton Hotels & Resorts, HRS, Odgers Berndston, Magma Hospitality Consulting, Hotel Princess Barcelona), which interact directly in the classroom with teachers and students.
During the University Master Degree in Hotel Management, the classroom becomes a space for debate, the co-creation of knowledge, and the exchange of ideas. The program is not only based on theoretical lectures; instead, the student is the protagonist of their own learning, allowing them to become self-sufficient, critical leaders, capable of making responsible and informed decisions. The collaborative environment between students and teachers also promotes the creation of a solid network of contacts that is maintained over time and facilitates joint work even after finishing the master's degree.
HTSI’s Master in Hotel Management allows participants to become the future leaders of the international hotel industry. Work insertion mainly places students in positions of:
- General Management
- Deputy General Management
- Intermediate Positions
Study in Barcelona
Cosmopolitan, modern, welcoming, Barcelona has it all. History, design, leisure, the ocean, an incredible cultural heritage and above all, a dynamic, creative culture: a perfect setting for business...and some pleasure. Barcelona is modern and progressive. It is both popular and steeped in tradition. Barcelona has become one of the most sought-after tourist destinations, visited by those looking for unforgettable experiences. A first-class city for professionals and an active city with a warm open character. And, because of its long history and experience, it is the ideal location for professional tourism studies.
University Master Degree in Hotel Management students are:
- National and international students.
- University graduates from different fields.
- Professionals interested in the hotel industry.
- Students with a business management approach aligned with ethical values.
- Open-minded, with service vocation and market orientation.
During the program
- Each of the modules is related to a company in the sector, who collaborate during the academic sessions through "Problem Based Learning". This offers the student an intense learning experience very close to the reality of the hotel industry.
- The student performs a one-week operational week in a hotel of international prestige in order to have a global vision of all the departments at the management level.
- The student will conduct an educational trip to familiarize themselves with different hotel business models and exchange views with industry leaders.
- Academic sessions are conducted by recognized academics. The learning environment includes academic readings, teamwork, coaching, case studies, contact with industry professionals and guest speakers.
- The University Master Degree includes research topics applied to hotel management and the completion of a thesis which allows the student the option of a doctorate after completing the Master Degree.
- International Financial Management 5 ECTS
- Sustainability and Social Responsibility 5 ECTS
- Professional Development and Leadership 5 ECTS
- Human Resources Management 5 ECTS
- Hotel Operations and Service Management 5 ECTS
- Global Hotel Strategic Management 5 ECTS
- International Internship 10 ECTS
- Research Methods in Hospitality 5 ECTS
- Electronic Distribution and Revenue Management 5 ECTS
- International Strategic Marketing Management 5 ECTS
- International Financial Management 5 ECTS
- Master Thesis 10 ECTS
- International Internship 20 ECTS
Operational Week Operational Week is a unique and vital component of the Master’s Program in Hotel Management, which is not found in any other Master’s Program in Barcelona. It allows students to build a bridge between the theories and case studies discussed in class and the realities, challenges, and concerns faced by hotel executives in managing day-to-day operations.
Each student is exposed to a variety of operational departments, ranging from General Manager to Front Office, Food & Beverage and Human Resources as they spend time with the department heads of each of these areas. This gives them a bird's-eye view of the organizational structure of a hotel while zooming in on the main operational divisions. As they shadow these managers, students get a sense of their tasks, responsibilities, challenges and agenda items. It also helps students to identify areas of interest and possible skill sets needed to be successful in the hospitality industry. Students learn about interdepartmental relationships and communication as well as how to strike a balance between guest loyalty, employee engagement, and profitability.
Furthermore, students are asked to synthesize and share their experiences, insights, takeaways, and conclusions in a final presentation in front of their peers.
Students of the Master in Hotel Management undertake a compulsory period of placement of 6 months in leading international hotel companies. This placement is essential because the students can apply the academic contents taught in the classroom in a real working environment.
This professional experience offers them the opportunity to build a solid network of professional contacts that contribute to foment their employability. The HTSI Career Services department manages these placements, in agreement with the students, to obtain positions in international hotel companies that offer the student a motivating job challenge and that at the same time can contribute to their personal and professional growth. Real examples of placement:
- Melia Hotels International (Madrid) - Sales & Marketing
- Me Ibiza - General Management
- Hotel Cellai (Florence) - Sales & Marketing
- H10 (Barcelona) - Human Ressources Department
- Majestic Hotel Group (Barcelona) - Revenue Management
- Crowne Plaza BCN Fira Center (Barcelona) - Operations Department
- Costa Rica Marriott - Finances Department
- Hotel Banke (Paris) - Hotel General Management
- Derby Hotels - Corporate General Management
To be able to enroll as a student in the University Master Degree in Hotel Management, you must meet these requirements:
- Have a university degree or official degree with a minimum of 180 credits.
- As the Degree is taught in English, a minimum level of B2, certified by an IELTS 6.0, Toefl Internet Based 70, or First Certificate English (minimum B as a grade) is required. In the case of not having an official English certification, a certificate issued by the University of Origin will be valid.
- Those students who have not completed their university degree in Spain must submit the European Supplement to the Degree or a University Certificate attesting that they could enroll on a Master Degree in the country where they have completed their university studies.
- Submit two letters of reference and a letter of motivation.
The student must complete the admission application with the required documentation below:
- Valid passport;
- Updated CV;
- 1 photograph;
- Two recommendation letters;
- 1 motivation letter;
- Official academic record of transcripts. If this documentation is not written in English, Spanish or Catalan, it is essential to submit a sworn translation;
- For students who have not completed their university degree in Spain, they must submit the European Supplement to the Degree or a University Certificate attesting they could enroll for a Master Degree in the country where they have completed their university studies;
- English level certificate, B2 minimum;
- Application fee 250 €.
Once we have received the application and verified that the documentation is correct, the student will be contacted to proceed.
The candidate must have a personal interview via telephone or Skype, with a member of the admissions committee.
Resolution of admission interview
The admissions committee will make an overall assessment and within a maximum period of one month will contact the candidate with their decision.
Financial Details and Payment Methods
Tuition fee: 17.730€
- Registration (15 days after the admission): 2.900€
- Rest (before 01/09/2018): 14.830€
Early Bird Fee (full payment before July 1st): 16.843,50€
- Registration (15 days after the admission) = 2.900€
- Rest (before 01/07/2018) = 13.943,50€
Payment in installments: 18.084,60€
- Registration (15 days after the admission): 2.900€
- First payment (01/09/2018) = 7.592,30€
- Second payment (01/12/2018) = 7.592,30€
This school offers programs in:
Last updated June 18, 2018