- Name of the program : Master in History Teaching
- Normal period to graduate: 4 semesters
- Credits: 100
- Degree conferred: Master in History Teaching
- Campus where it is offered: Hermosillo
Train teachers in the teaching and learning of History that are capable of responding to current educational problems from the teaching intervention.
That the student:
- Know and apply approaches to social, cultural and regional history, particularly trends in environmental history and the history of the present time.
- Identify the differences between general teaching and history teaching.
- Learn about the contributions offered by recent learning theories for educational intervention.
- Acquire skills in the use of various teaching strategies for teaching history.
- Design and organize the development of learning situations.
- Propose mechanisms for evaluating the teaching and learning processes with a formative approach.
- Plan the teaching and learning processes of History taking into account the constructivism approach.
What will be your skills when you finish the program?
- a) The graduate will update his knowledge about the Universal History of Mexico and Sonora, taking into account the most recent historiographic perspectives.
- b) Strengthen their knowledge about learning theories and didactics of History.
- c) Manage a critical perspective on the concepts of time and space in History, the links of past and present and the transformation of landscapes.
- d) It will have theoretical and methodological instruments to investigate the problems inherent in the teaching of history.
- a) Assume the teaching of history from a critical perspective, based on updated teaching and historiographic positions.
- b) Design appropriate and appropriate teaching strategies to generate meaningful learning environments in the classroom.
- c) Expand knowledge about the problems present in the teaching-learning process of History.
Attitudes and Values:
- a) It will be very clear the relevance of History in the integral formation of students of the different educational levels, particularly of the upper middle level, relevance that has been historically recorded in the various educational policies in Mexico.
- b) Associate to the teaching of history its commitment to the current social reality and the orientations of historical change.
- c) Responsibly assume its commitment to promote innovation in educational practice by investigating the emerging problem.
- Didactics and learning theories
- History and historiography
- History Teaching Seminar: problems, approaches and studies
- History Teaching
- Historical Issues
- History Teaching Seminar: project design
- History Teaching Seminar: diagnosis
- History Teaching Seminar: intervention proposal
- Didactic planning of a program by competences
- Learning Assessment
- Sociology of Education
- Teaching, time and space
- Didactics of History and ICT
- Historiographic speeches and textbooks
- Universal history
- Mexico history
- Sonora history
- Education and public policy in Mexico
- History of the present tense
- Environmental History
- Cultural History
- Qualitative methods and techniques
- Quantitative methods and techniques
- Documentary research and audiovisual production
- Writing academic texts
Lines of generation and / or application of knowledge of the program.
- Theory and curriculum development, teaching and evaluation
- Teaching history: research themes and methodologies
How to enter this postgraduate?
- Bachelor's degree in History, Basic Education, Higher Secondary Education and other related. The Academic Committee will evaluate the acceptance of professionals from other fields currently dedicated to teaching history.
- Approve with a general average equal to or greater than 80 in the degree curriculum.
- Accredit English exam equivalent to TOEFL with 420 points.
- Submit the CENEVAL Postgraduate Entrance Exam, EXANI-III, and reach at least 1000 points.
- Present a general proposal of terminal work in accordance with the modalities offered by the Master's Program in History Teaching.
Applicants will possess the following:
- Count, preferably, with teaching experience in the teaching of history.
- Possess skills for analytical and critical reading of articles and books specialized in History and Social Sciences.
- Have skills for writing reviews, reading controls and historical and social research articles.
- Have knowledge in the handling of word processors, spreadsheets, software for the preparation of presentations and strategies for the discriminated search of information on the Internet.
- Possess oral and written communication skills, as well as understanding academic materials in English.
- Show interest in problems related to the teaching of history.
- Show discipline capacity for academic work
- Show interest in the study of social problems and phenomena from a historical perspective.
What do you need to get the degree?
To obtain a master's degree, you must:
- Approve the total credits and meet the other requirements established in the corresponding graduate program;
- Proof of understanding a language other than Spanish, as established by the Academic Committee of the Postgraduate Program according to the study program.
- Pass the examination of grade in the written phase and in the oral phase before a jury named ex profeso.
- For the degree of doctor, to pass a general examination of knowledge in the case in which the graduate program contemplates it.
- Comply with the provisions and requirements demanded by the School Services Office for the issuance of the degree.
Individual written work (minimum 60 pages, maximum 80) in which one of the following subjects is developed with methodological rigor and critically:
- Analysis of educational policies in Mexico and their impact on the teaching exercise, particularly with regard to the field of history teaching.
- Critical analysis of programs and content on the subject of History in its different denominations (Mexican history, universal, regional).
- Critical analysis of the didactic strategies used in the teaching of history.
- Research results on the teaching exercise in history teaching and learning.
Professional Activity Report
Individual written work (minimum 50 pages, maximum 70) in which a critical assessment is developed about the exercise itself in teaching practice in the field of history teaching. It must also include a proposal based on improving the teaching-learning of History.
Individual written work in which one of the following proposals is developed:
- Development of teaching material oriented to the teaching and learning of history at different educational levels (minimum 30 pages, maximum 50).
- Innovation in the teaching and learning of History using information and communication technologies (minimum 30 pages, maximum 50).
How much does it cost to study this graduate?
Cost of the EXANI-III
The cost of registering applicants to enter the Universidad de Sonora is announced annually together with the first entry notice. Check this information for the last year:
Registration and tuition fees
Students, when enrolling in any of the graduate programs, must cover the corresponding fees according to the minimum wage in force in the city of Hermosillo, as established in the Fee Regulation.